Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brown ooze

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
While searing steaks at 650, my egg, which is very seasoned started oozing brown guck through sides around fire box. It looked like it was coming out of the pores. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I have no cracks and my egg is about 8 years old.

Comments

• crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    egg is sweating...you aren't using it enough.... :laugh:
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Sounds like you have a rare devil egg :evil: It needs an exorcism. :laugh: Have you tried filling it full of lump and letting it rip? That will clean it.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Did it look like this? -RP

goop.jpg
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Did you find out what caused that?
  • AZRP
    Yeah, I seared 10 ribeyes on an egg that had only been doing slow cooks for years. -RP
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Randy, you need a diaper for that egg :ohmy: :laugh:
  • THAT looks like accumulated "gasket goo" that got cooked out!

Gasket goo = grease, smoke, fat, sauce, who knows what else!
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • AZRP
    Eggsacktly. -RP
  • triehle98
    triehle98 Posts: 208
    That egg looks like an old man in need of a spit cup , I wonder what it chews ? copenhagen ?
  • Hey I just realized that the last time my Large did that ...the next time I went to use it it was GLUED SHUT by the ooze stuff. Somebody should alert that user that he should test-open his egg before he needs to use it and if glued shut, use the "insert lit charcoal down the top vent" technique to heat it open.... right? (or he could use the knife/screwdriver/prybar technique but that one is "ouch" to the gasket for sure :laugh:
  • This one was locked shut the next day, I put a starter cube in the bottom and it opened at about 350. -RP
  • Yep , that'll work.
    FB
  • i bet you had a lot of recent rain and hadn't used the egg in a while.

yeah, that stuff will get forced out under pressure when a really wet egg gets to high temps. one cure is to simply use the egg often enough that it stays pretty dry. but it isn't harmful, just unsightly. i had it happen couple days ago, following 13 inches of rain over a few day's time. i just wipe it off with a damp paper towel
  • We use Spray 9 at the store to clean the eggs ...seems to work really good for the goopy stuff.
  • Roll Tide
    Roll Tide Posts: 505
    I put down some parchment paper between the top and bottom. It ensures that they don't get stuck together.
  • no.....it was more around the firebox and not runningdown the top, seaping through the pores
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Le me guess, you keep it uncovered and you use it only about one or twice a week?
  • ckcgnfshn
    ckcgnfshn Posts: 21
    Hello,

This is a combination of build up inside the egg and moisture that gets into to poors of the ceramic. You need to clean your egg. First thing, is to take out the internal components. Scrub everything down. What works best is crumbled foil to scrub everything down. You will also need to scrub the inside of the egg. Then, you need to put everthing back inside and fire it up to about 500 degrees for several hours. Let it burn everything out of the poors. I use a wet terry towel to wipe off the crap on the outside. Just let it cook until it stops oozing the stuff out. I let it cook for about an hour after it stops oozing. Because it is the moisture and the char from the inside of the egg. I have had to do this with both of my XL eggs a couple of times. I talked to the people at the BGE Factory and they said this is normal.

Let me know how it works out
  • ckh
    ckh Posts: 9
    AZRP said:
    Did it look like this? -RP

goop.jpg
    We just received a week straight of rain, broke the 130 year old record. Over 13 inches. Crazy. Mine started doing as described, which is different from what you experienced here. This is grease running off. What I experienced is literal grease exuding from the pores on the lid only. It was really weird. I wish i had taken a picture, because it was crazy. The ceramic was sweating profusely as well. Very strange occurrence. I pulled the cover off of my Vision, which was exposed to the weather as well, and fired it up to high temps to dry it out. It did not exhibit this issue, but both of them were more difficult that usual to light up. And i keep both of them covered. Definitely attribute it to the moisture.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Holy post resurrection batman! 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    ckcgnfshn said:
    Hello,

This is a combination of build up inside the egg and moisture that gets into to poors of the ceramic. You need to clean your egg. First thing, is to take out the internal components. Scrub everything down. What works best is crumbled foil to scrub everything down. You will also need to scrub the inside of the egg. Then, you need to put everthing back inside and fire it up to about 500 degrees for several hours. Let it burn everything out of the poors. I use a wet terry towel to wipe off the crap on the outside. Just let it cook until it stops oozing the stuff out. I let it cook for about an hour after it stops oozing. Because it is the moisture and the char from the inside of the egg. I have had to do this with both of my XL eggs a couple of times. I talked to the people at the BGE Factory and they said this is normal.

Let me know how it works out

I started making 2 lbs of pork belly burnt ends and noticed dark ooze dripping out my bottom vent.  I just sauced it and will be ready in about 30 minutes. Should I turn up the heat and cook out the grease?  Am I in danger of starting a grease fire?

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• Had a good ooze one time too.