Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Replacement Gasket question

BlueHorseShoe
BlueHorseShoe Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone know of a fiberglass free replacement gasket. I just replaced my BGE gasket with oem but I have a large water smoker and was looking to insulate some gaps in the main door.

I was considering a Rutland but wanted something fiberglass free.

Comments

• Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Nomex are silicone. I have one on my bge and works great
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    You could certainly try the nomex gasket from BGE as an option. You could also try the ceramic gasket material from Cotronics. At one point, I read forum posts elsewhere that Cotronics didn't recommend it around food, but lately there have been posts that someone at Cotronics says it is ok. That said, there is no reason to avoid fiberglass as far as I can tell. The only danger listed for fiberglass in the MSDS is ingestion of large enough quantities to cause a physical obstruction in the body. I have a web page on the Rutland gasket that you can find at Information Central under Gaskets. It contains multiple MSDS's and other information regarding fiberglass and the graphite that Rutland impregnates the gasket with. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    When replacing the gasket should it be applied all as one piece? Would it matter if you didn't?
  • i haven't seen a coltronics up close, but i always wonder: it's made of fibers too, just ceramic vs. glass.

if someone considers fiberglass "bad" (and i agree with you on its safety), why does being a ceramic fiber make it any better?
  • not sure Nomex is silicone....

some have used silicone adhesive with it, though
  • After doing a little research the only bad thing I can see about fiberglass is, if you cook your food directly under the fiberglass.