Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Small Egg just arrived

Tim M
Tim M Posts: 2,410
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
myegg2.jpg
<p />I just got my new BGE small set up and ready to fire up tomorrow. Darn, wish I had a steak ready - but everything is frozen solid. [p]What differences will I notice using this rascal rather than the large? I have a slide daisy for it too. Its a cute little guy - looks good for most of my grilling needs and I might leave the low and slow stuff for the big guy.[p]Tim -- 2 eggs, no waiting[p]

Comments

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Tim M,
    Looks like the "Little Guy" hasn't got his wings yet. But he'll fly real soon.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Tim M,[p]Congratulations. You'll love the small. It is a little quicker on temp changes and is more sensitive to large cuts of cold meat limiting dome temp on a sear. If you allow it to crank up real good (well regulated sear temp) prior to inserting the meal, no problems.[p]You'll adjust to it quickly.[p]Spin
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    MAC,[p]Wings are not yet available for the small :{.[p]Spin

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Spin,[p]And neither is the new locking band available for the small - I wish the little guy could open wider when it says ahhhhhhhh. It looks like a fine addition to a large BGE -- that Nature Boy can't get one up on me!! [p]Tim
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Tim M,
    Put the steak that is still wrapped in the sink covered with cold water. It will thaw out in about 1-1.5 hrs.

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Tim M,
    I'm green with envy! Good luck. I'm just looking for an excuse to get either a small or a Mini...

• olblue
    olblue Posts: 42
    Tim M,
    I bought a large egg at the Eggtoberfest and feel I have better temperature control (high end) with the large. If you can catch it before the temp shoots past 300 and after it is truly lit, low ans slow is no problem for ribs. I have not done real long slow cook with the small. Wanna buy a never-been-used small egg cover?

• Tim M,[p]Congrats! The wife nixed getting a small to keep Mr. Big company. Maybe by Eggfest2001, I'll have changed her mind.[p]Regards,
    Jobu

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Tim M,
    Welcome to my world.[p]Now that Mr. Big is gone, I am back to just small land … and that’s … ok. (sniff)[p]Actually, the one time that I cooked ribs on Mr. Big, I did not think that they came out as well as on the small. Try rolling a rack of ribs and slow smoke them for about four hours. Because of the closer proximity of the meat to the dome, when the ribs are rolled there is absolutely no reason to ever open the lid. This then takes full advantage of moister retaining quality of the Egg.[p]Do not count junior out for the low and slow cooks. I have done EW’s PP several times on the small and it comes out great.[p]Happy Rolling,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    Tim M,[p]The small will do wonders on steaks Tim. We have a metal grate for the lump and that allows the high temps to really kick in.[p]Don't forget about Spin's cold smoke technique for thawing meat. That way is steak dinner is always about an hour or so away. :-)[p]Your set-up looks a lot like mine now. :-) Only I don't have wings for my large (yet).[p]Fritz