Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone seen the new XL Egg model?

BlueHorseShoe
BlueHorseShoe Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Big Green Egg is coming out with a new XL egg with a more forgiving dome. i was wondering if anyone has seen one yet?

Comments

• Please explain "forgiving". I have an XL and my top keeps acting up as in not wanting to open correctly etc. The "eggman" is supposed to come tomorrow and check Egg for me
  • The dome is suppose to be more "domed" for lack of a better word. Making it easier to open, better weight distribution. It is also suppose to hold in moisture during cooking and allow for more air flow over the meat. The bigger dome would allow for more height in the cooking chamber as well.

Ask the eggman tomorrow. I would be curious to hear what he says.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I'm not sure and have not seen one.I did see a post on here that stated the NEW XL would be built more like a large and not so "SQUATTY".That's just what I read. :unsure:
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    How'd you hear about it? wondering..
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • I spoke with BGE a couple of weeks ago and they confirmed a new XL coming out this year with an extra 2" of clearance in the dome and a slotted fire box. I'm interested in more details as well.
  • I was at Myron Mixons' cooking class and overheard a conversation. I was taking notes about whole hog prep and could not stop to pay attention to the egg news. I meant to bring it back up but just got busy. Myron had a rep from big green egg assisting him. He was there to answer any questions from the egg heads in the class. Myron cooks on water smoker. But, everybody there had an egg they used in comps or backyard it seemed.
  • popedaddy
    popedaddy Posts: 51
    Looks just like the large dome. I guess call it more taller than smushed or squattie, more room for taller food items.
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Saw it this past Feb in Atlanta. Dome is taller, more in the shape of the Large, fire box has a cut in it as well and the next has the option for the handle bar (which I have and makes moving it a piece of cake). Looks to be a nice unit.

-Kevin
    Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • Squeeze
    That should be nest, not next...sorry.
    Kevin Jacques
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    FYI- you can edit your post. Just open it up and click 'edit' in the lower middle of the page.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Hey,Sport,Did u get my e-mail. :huh:
  • triehle98
    triehle98 Posts: 208
    I have an XL and it keeps binding up when i try to close it also . I wonder if they are going to modify the hinge to resemble the one on the large. I sure hope so ... Im tired of adjusting and tweaking it . It only happens on high temp cooks or cooks lasting longer than 2hrs . How does your XL "act up"?
  • I was in the Corporate office on Tuesday. I saw the xl that they were selling and it was not the new one. I meant to ask the guy about it. I will probably go back up there today to buy some hickory chunks and will ask.
  • cigarstock wrote:
    Please explain "forgiving". I have an XL and my top keeps acting up

I have an XL and it used to "act up" as well. After spanking it a few times, it still "acted up".

I decided it needed an attitude adjustment.

Turns out it needed an Eggropractor to make a few adjustments to it's bands.

The bands weren't seated properly around the base and dome. Band not properly seated on the dome in below pic.
    101_2613640x480.jpg

The Eggropractor made several adjustments on the dome and base bands seating them properly - loosen bolt and make adjustments
    101_2462640x480.jpg

Dome band properly seated - tighten bolts and remove all attitude adjustment devices
    101_2616640x480-1.jpg

Haven't had any problems with my egg "acting up" since the Eggropractor showed my XL who the boss is around here. An attitude adjustment will go a long way to solving and "acting up" issues - ShowemWhoDaBossIs
  • Ripnem
    Ya man! All of'em

we are already looking at the calander and reserving space in the freezers.

My girls should still be in propper form for some pointing, flushing or retrieving as well.

Long ways off, but I'm psyched
  • The new design will not hit the stores until existing inventory (old dome design)are sold out, will most likely be sometime in the summer or early fall.
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Here is the one Hoss BBQ cooked on in Atlanta.

Larry

HossBBQ.jpg

The one in the front of these people is a large and behind them is the new XL.

kwOct09038.jpg
  • Ripnem
    Frank,

I don't have an XL, but remember someone had issues with the hinge binding up a bit. The fix was to loosen the 'pivot' bolts in the hinge system. Just loose enough to allow it to pivot smoothly.
  • Heard the same - I don't have any problems with mine.

I think adjusting the bands to ensure they are seated correctly may solve their "acting up" issues.
  • azbbguy
    azbbguy Posts: 191
    I had talked to corporate a month or two ago, and asked how much the dome would run us, if we wanted to buy one. It was around $220 if you wanted to purchase one..
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    H.I.L., thanks for providing us with that direct channel to the Corporate Office. ;) BGE Mothership and dealers will exhaust existing inventory of the older style before selling the new. The question I have(not that I own an XL), and maybe you can use your contacts(LOL, sorry can't resist)is whether the new dome and firebox can be retrofitted to the Base of the existing model. And if so, would a hinge replacement be required? Maybe ask Randy when you are there and let us know. :)

Bluehorseshoe, the BGE rep who was at the Myron class was "Bobby-Q" who posts here on the forum regularly, and is the General Manager of the BGE Corporate Retail Store in Tucker, and runs the "Big Green Egg Academy" cooking class. He also competes against Myron on the pro circuit, and is presumably how they became friends.
  • Eggzellent
    Eggzellent Posts: 238
    I've committed to a XL when the new version is confirmed as shipping to the general public.
    Is there a general consensus that these improvements have been well researched...or in other words...why exactly is each change being made; are there any other that should be and do any of these have anything to do with competing product advantages?

Again, I'm sold on the product and just need to confirm that 1) BGE is fixing everything that need be all at once...and 2) that I invest my 'accessory' money on exactly that instead of fixing/modifying what should have been engineered in the first (or second) place.

Sorry to appear as the doubting Thomas...but I've bought many fairly expensive items over the years (mostly American made) where inadequately tested and obviouly needed changes are rolled out 'gradually' over the years; as opposed to getting things right the first or even second time around.

Great forum, btw and thanks for having me.
  • I have an XL and had no ill effects of the lower lid design, they did make a shallower fire ring to get the cooking grid lower and I have never had a clearance problem. Several posts above talk about a taller dome cooking better... so that may be the reason, but I have never had a temp or cooking problem on my XL and with the add-ons from the Ceramic Grill Store it cooks like a large when you need it to an XL when you need to extra space. You won't be making a bad choice. good luck on the wait.
  • Eggzellent
    PlanoPokes79 wrote:
    I have an XL and had no ill effects of the lower lid design, they did make a shallower fire ring to get the cooking grid lower and I have never had a clearance problem. Several posts above talk about a taller dome cooking better... so that may be the reason, but I have never had a temp or cooking problem on my XL and with the add-ons from the Ceramic Grill Store it cooks like a large when you need it to an XL when you need to extra space. You won't be making a bad choice. good luck on the wait.

Thanks for the reply and tip on the accessorry website.

The site above mentions the following:

"...IMPORTANT PLEASE READ: In 2008, Big Green Egg redesigned the fire ring and firebox in the XL cooker. With the redesign, the firebox is one inch shorter and the fire ring has three 3/4-inch deep X 6 inch long notches on top...."

In reference to my earlier question(s) involving what this new version will (or should) look like...and remembering(?) an earlier post claiming that the firebox would be modified (again?) on this new XL...is there a consensus among eggheads that the newest unit will be 'darn near perfect' when it is finally released?

I guess my question should have been....what do you all 'dislike' about the current XL and/or what should BGE be doing to rectify any perceived issues?
  • The shorter fire ring was to gain more head room, the notches are no concern to performance, only how they(BGE) decide to recast the ring and the reason Tom's site wants it customers to note that is, that it changes which spyder you order. Like I stated, my XL cooks great and there is nothing about it I would change. The new firebox that is discussed has an expansion slot in it, since it a larger firebox and more heat to make it expand and contract, cuts down the chances of it cracking over time, which is not an issue and all ceramic cookers fireboxes crack at sometime or another. Many folks have cooked on cracked fireboxes for years before replacing them, which is cover under the warranty.
  • Eggzellent
    Thanks for the slotted firebox explanation. I look at the picture of the new XL in an earlier post and then look at the current version in terms of dome shape...and have trouble seeing what the difference will be. Does anybody believe that the improved clearance(?) will be benefitial and in what manner?
  • IMHO I do not, but everyone has their own view on things. I have a large and XL and not any difference in the food that comes off of them....all good. It may help if you are doing large amounts of pork butts or briskets at one time and really need to stack them in, depends on how you use it.
  • Squeeze
    The new smaller was also designed to accommodate the re-designed plate setter which has longer legs, a much needed plate setter improvement.
    Kevin Jacques
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

• popedaddy
    popedaddy Posts: 51
    It is available now and is in stock ready to go, we have been shipping them the last month.
  • Are you saying the new XL is in stock and ready to ship ?