Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

About to purchase

AUPr8Hd
AUPr8Hd Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am about to purchase a Large BGE and need advice on what I absolutely MUST HAVE for initial setup. I have looked at the Woo3 and Spider from CGS. But it's all so confusing as to what I actually should have. :unsure:

What say ye?

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    AUPr8Hd,

All you really need is the egg and the platesetter. Get used to it first and then you will understand what the accessories can do for you. You can make decent pizza on the platesetter.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• popagar0
    popagar0 Posts: 136
    plate setter & :laugh: lots of lump
  • AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    Egg, plate setter, and ash tool. Go buy a few deep dish pizza pans and some wide aluminum foil to cover them for drip pans and you are set for a while.
  • AUPr8Hd
    AUPr8Hd Posts: 17
    Awesome! Thanks for the quick replies

I've already been scouting the local Wally World for RO :laugh:
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    There are many ways to go, mostly all good
    I have the woo3 w/13" stone and drip pan, and the new 3 level revolving rack from BGE. This setup will handle most of my cooks. I also have the platesetter which I mostly use for pizza [along with the 13'stone]. You can certainly get by with just the platesetter, but you need a way to raise the grid to the felt line and cook direct, bolts, firebricks, whatever. My system works for me, but you might want to call the folks at the ceramic grill store for their input, plus all the ideas you will get on this forum.
    Good luck, and wecome to the cult! :cheer:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Plumbr44
    Plumbr44 Posts: 212
    I would agree with the others. It really depends on what you like to cook. I would stick to the basics for the first few cooks and get the feel of it. I was never a real fan of grilled chicken until I got my Egg, now I look for excuses to grill and roast them. The platesetter is the heart of the accessory list in my book. I have spent more on extras than my large cost. The Maverick 73 thermometer is a nice start when you get into gadget collecting, and I'm still craving a Thermapen. Most of all, have fun with it and I'm glad you are aboard!!!!

Matt The Plumber
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Platesetter

Maybe a pizza stone

you don;t need a ash tool of they don't throw it in unless you don't own a shop vacuum.

a Cheap Digital thermometer

Use that for a few weeks or months and they you will get a feel for what you really will use.

Personlly I've spent more on specialty pots and pans and knives than gadgets.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • EggZactly
    EggZactly Posts: 39
    I'd also spring for the $35 or so thermometer with probe, the type that has a wireless remote sensor.... so for something slow-cooking you can put it on, then more or less ignore it until the idjit alarm beeps to let you know it's done or close to done. Remember, the less you open the lid, the better things will be... and the thermometer will help you resist temptation. We like the RediCheck remote cooking thermometer.
    http://www.amazon.com/RediCheck-Remote-Cooking-Thermometer-Settings/dp/B0000AQL24

We really like our plug-in starter -- specific for the Egg, as it has a perfect bend in the handle... about $20 or so, lasts a year if you don't forget and leave it in too long whilst starting the charcoal.

I'd also get a V-rack, and foil pans to put under it to catch drippings. For the large Egg, Costco sells pans that are a perfect size; when they get too cruddy, they can just be pitched, but if you spray them with nonstick spray and wash them out afterwards they're good for multiple uses. We do a lot of things with a V-rack with a pan under it. You can get a pretty cheap one at WalMart; no need to get the pricey Egg one.

If you do a lot of fish, you might consider getting a fish grill.

I'd also recommend getting some wood chips and/or chunks for smoking. They're not too expensive, really add to the Egg experience, and last a long time. Get a couple of basic types, like hickory (for pork and beef) and mesquite (for chicken), but also alder (fish) and maybe cherry, apple, or pecan (the latter three good with pork and poultry).

Enjoy your Egg!