Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Design help needed

Options
Joe Willie
Joe Willie Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
Guys, I would appreciate anyones input on design. Here is the situation.... Been Egging on a Large for about three years with one of the BGE tables. The Egg is in the center giving me maybe 8 inches of working space on either side. Not near enough obviously. So my plan is to design and build a table in which I have plenty of working space, can incorporate a 2nd large, and would also like a place to put a gas cooker with 2 burners. I already have the gas burners and I use them for deep frying on occasion and seafood boils....crawfish, shrimp, etc. The burners are about 30 inches long and can be reduced to about 4 inches in height minus the propane tank. Space isnt really an issue. I have plenty of room.

Id like it to be on wheels, though I likely wont be moving it much. Space for storage, etc. Nice with a slate or some sort of attractive top that is cook friendly. I, thinking in the 12' x 3' range, but Im not limited to that and open to suggestion.

I appreciate any input you guys could provide.

Comments

• Joe Willie
    Options
    Would also like to add that I have access to a granite "bone yard" and can get it for next to nothing for the top if Im not overly picky about colors and seams....
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Go to www.nakedwhiz.com

there are a lot of pics and also plans for making tables...

here is my 6' table with granite tiles

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/TableGallery/tables.htm?P98
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Incorporating two Eggs and a gasser into one table with a slate top is going to be heavy1 I don't think you will be able to put wheels under it without making it a trailer. If you are after a "backyard kitchen" effect, you are going to need multiple legs [I'm thinking eight] to hold the weight.
    Just my thoughts B) .

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • CClose
    CClose Posts: 1
    Options
    I am about to start construction of my table as well. I had the same thought as you regarding the granite from a bone yard. I talked to my source and to get the round hole cut it was going to be a expensive - they were going to have to use their water jet machine. I think Capt. Frank is correct in saying this animal will be very heavy. Have you considered two components that you could push together or move apart if need or one that is mobile where the burner and other egg stay in the a more permanent location. I am planning on making mine from rough sawn oak, or cypress. I am going to build it with mortise and tenon joinery, pegs and maybe arched support brackets. I want that timber frame type look. I can send you a a quick cad sketch I did by coping my table and adding a burner location and a second egg if you would like and we can explore the ideas from there.
  • Joe Willie
    Options
    Thanks CClose,

I would love to see the cad sketches and kick around some ideas if you are interested. Im thinking I underestimated the scope of the project and I need to just make it a permanant fixture.

jw