Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Garlic Italian Sausage Recipe

BabyBoomBBQ
BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I play Dungeons and Dragon's online a lot and my most widlely known character is a Cleric named Klaireek in the Dragon Renaissance Brotherhood guild. I documented my Garlic
Italian Sausage recipe for my "in game" friends and just realized I should post it here for everyone.

CasaBP is another online handle of mine. Yes, the Blackened Tiptip guy whose recipe someone used at a FL EggFest several years back and actually made it into a cookbook from that event.

Klaireek's Garlic Italian Sausage

5 Lbs cubed pork shoulder. (I wait for Country Style Pork ribs to go on sale to reduce cutting time.)
1 1/2 Tablespoons freshly fine ground black pepper
1 1/2 Tablespoons Kosher Salt
2 1/2 Teaspoons Toasted Fennel seed (Heat in pan until fragrant & lightly brown.)
1/4 Cup freshly minced Garlic
3/4 Teaspoon Dried Basil (Don't even think of using fresh.)

"Hot" sausage option:
3/4 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper

I keep the entire processing environment as cold as possible, including the grinder attachment on my mixer, which I chill in the freezer prior to grinding.

1. Toast Fennel seeds and allow to cool.
2. Trim and cut the pork into roughly 1" to 1/2" cubes. I do the work on a chilled solid surface counter.
3. Mix the cubes with all ingredients in a zip lock bag.
4. Refrigerate at least overnight. 24 hours is best. A key step for stellar results.
5. Course grind and adjust salt/pepper to taste. I fry a quarter size patty about 1/4" thick to taste test. Remember, you want the lowest amount of salt possible!
6. Put it up how ever works for you. I vac pack in 1/4, 1/2 and 1 lb sizes. I also make a Sausage Pasta Fazool soup with this that is very very popular. Recipe upon request. If you make a fatty out of this, it's best with a simple ground black pepper rub and cherry or oak smoke.

If you want to scale for a smaller or larger batch, follow the proportions listed above.

Bryan

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Welcome back man...

I'm guessing there are probably only 5 sausage recipes that I haven't felt the need to automatically increase the amount of garlic that is called out..... now there is a 6th. (My favorite Hot Italian has the same ratio, 1/2 cup in a 10 pound batch).

You didn't mention liquid.... what do you use? Normally for a 5 pound batch I use 3/4 to 1 cup of ice water, but iced Pinot Grigio is good too.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Well, you were actually one of my "go to" sources when I worked this recipe out over an afternoon of analysis. The German guy who taught me how to make sausage the first time didn't use liquid, so I never ever have. I always figured the chilled liquid helped keep everything cold. So, I worked out a process to keep everything cold without it because I didn't know any better. lol
  • Can I get a copy of your sausage pasta fazool soup recipe please, thank you.