Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Here comes Peter Cottontail...4 dinner.(pic heavy)

Smokin' not stirred
Smokin' not stirred Posts: 301
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First attempt at cooking Bugs...found at Roche Bros. here on Cape Cod and had to try it. Brined with soy, brown sugar, ginger, red pepper flakes for 24 hrs.

IMG_0690.jpg

Dusted with Dizzy Pig SwampVenom (love it).

IMG_0695.jpg

On the Egg @ 375 direct, added 2 small chunks of cherry and 1 of pecan. I would probably go with 1 chunk the next time.

IMG_0699.jpg

Pulled internal 140 - 150, looked good.

IMG_0700.jpg

Plated with roasted brussel sprouts with sugar snap peas and a black bean puree.

IMG_0709.jpg

A really good dinner. I was a little worried reading the few posts here that it would be tough but it was very tender throughout. An excellent dinner, the wife said was better than game hens which is one of her favorites. I recommend giving it a shot.

Comments

• Okay, so you are going to get some people on here that say "oh no, not a rabbit" but I think it looks delicious!
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Looks great to me. I ate some rabbit about 10 years ago and I still remember it being very tasty. One of the better wild meats I ever ate.
  • Well I am one of those that say "oh no, not a rabbit", lol. It looks fabulous, but I swear that is the one meat I don't think I could eat. I can eat Bambi, but I don't think I could bring myself to eat the Easter Bunny, especially not seeing it all layed out like you have it. I mean, if it were just pieces of the meat....maybe....but not that way. Call me a wuss. However, it really does look like a good cook.
  • Byron
    Byron Posts: 6
    I can't help but love the second pic. Priceless.
  • Thanks for the post. I picked up a Cajun stuffed rabbit at Hebert's the other day and was debating over slow smoke or hot grill. I think you nailed it and eill go that way.

Thanks again!
  • That looks fantastic! I never bought in to the "cute factor" when it comes to eating. If you've ever spent any time in the third world you realize that the vast majority of people on the planet just don't have that luxury. Hunt it, kill it, eat it. Thanks for the post; and love the pics.

- Atlanta, GA
  • That looks fantastic! I never bought in to the "cute factor" when it comes to eating. If you've ever spent any time in the third world you realize that the vast majority of people on the planet just don't have that luxury. Hunt it, kill it, eat it. Thanks for the post; and love the pics.

- Atlanta, GA
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Well done!
    I usually braise rabbit quarters in broth, wine and herbs. A second method that I learned in a French Provincial cooking school was to paint a rabbit quarter with Dijon mustard, put a sprig of rosemary on it, wrap in foil and through the foil pack on a charcoal grill for 15-20 minutes. That loses the flavor of the grill. I think your method tops that one. Thanks.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Wow, what a great lookin' cook. Reminds me of the pan fried rabbit I had growing up - that with gravey and corn bread made by my mother from TN and I was in heaven. Hope your rabbit tasted as good as I remember mine did.