Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Covered Deck

Options
potatobed409
potatobed409 Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
I am going to build a new table for my large egg. I would like to put it on the deck, but it is covered. Does anyone have there egg under a covered deck, and is there any problems with it? Smokin the ceiling up or anything else.

Comments

• sew quik
    Options
    I am in the same situation and have gotten good advice from several people here. There is a good thread on this recently that has the info in it. Look below this thread and you will see it under "smoke under roof" or some other such title...
  • Moni-Q
    Moni-Q Posts: 22
    Options
    My Eggs sit on a covered patio, and I have never had a problem. Granted, the roof is 13 feet up, and there is a ridge vent in the roof, but I have yet to notice any bulld-up, and I bought my first Egg in 2004. What I've noticed whle cooking is that the smoke will only go so far up, then roll back down and out the sides of the patio roof. It's as though air pressure under the roof itself prevents the smoke from rising up to and exiting through the ridge vent.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    My eggs are under a poor man's covered deck. I just have plastic siding under the deck to prevent sparks from going up. The ceiling is only 10' at the most slanting down to 8'. I do have some build up under the large BGE but it is easily cleaned. There is no buildup under the small and mini.
  • golffer
    golffer Posts: 144
    Options
    While my deck is wide open I do keep the BGE under a 12 x 20 tarp (well at least I did before this freak snow) about 6 feet above the egg. Have never had any smoke issues.
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    I have my LBGE under a pop up event tent. no problem
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    My egg sits under a white aluminum carport which is only 7' or 8' high. Sometimes when I have the egg going at 700+ I can hear the aluminum making small popping sounds as it expands rapidly but I have never had an issue with smoke or soot build-up. This is probably because I always use Wicked Good Charcoal and it burns hotter / cleaner than everything else. The main thing I would be worried about is what is around the egg, not above it. You don't want flammable stuff near the egg such as dry grass, leaves, fuels, etc. because one errant spark could ruin your whole day.