Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chili help

mukl
mukl Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Chili emergency.
Soaked some beans last night and then started cooking them to make a chili about 2 hours (11:00) ago. The beans are still rock hard.

Should I have pre-cooked them? I think that's where I messed up. Any chance they will cook and become soft by game time (2 hours from now)?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Comments

•  
    At this point in time crank the heat up to a simmer, if you have to, take it to a low boil. In either case keep the batch from burning to the pan. Those beans have got to cook some more.

Or pressure cook the batch.

GG
  • mukl
    mukl Posts: 66
    Thanks GG.
    So there is still a chance they'll soften or finish.
    I would imagine I'd need to monitor the liquid and add...something...to keep it from burning, as you said.
    Thanks again.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Be sure to stir it also to keep from sticking. Some of my chili beans take 4-5 hours. The age of the bean has something to do with the cooking time also.

I once had some black beans in a crock pot for 2 days and they never did get soft.
  •  
    No way of telling, it will depend on the beans.

Put the lid on and every 10 minutes or so remove the lid, stir and re-lid. The steam will condense on the lid and drop back into the beans. Add water if you have to. Watch the interval you decide on. You will be able to tell if the beans are sticking or not.

It's not over until game time or even half time or even after game eats.

Hopefully you will have a 'save'.

GG