Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who has a cinnamon bun recipe for egg?

ChefAl
ChefAl Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Comments

• thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    I use pillsbury...faster and cheaper. Not a dough guy.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Does this help?

Biscuits, Cinnamon Rolls, Mainegg

INGREDIENTS:
    12 frozen Pillsbury Biscuits (not the bang cans-we get these by the bag at Sam's
    1 stick of softened, almost melted, Butter
    3/4 cup fine chopped Nuts
    1/2 cup Sugar mixed with 1 Tbls. of Cinnamon
    Icing:
    2 Tbs Melted Butter
    1/2 cup Confectionary Sugar
    1 tsp Vanilla

Procedure:
    1 Allow the biscuits to almost thaw. Then roll or pat out to about a 6 inch oval. Spread with the butter. Sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar and nuts. Roll up the short side. Cut in to two pieces and stand on end on a pizza stone. You can also freeze at this point and bake later. These are great to keep in the freezer and just bake a few at a time :) Bake at 400° F. for about 15 minutes or till golden. Remove and let set for about 5 minutes and frost with the icing (let it melt into the rolls).
    2 You can use a few mini chocolate chips and orange zest instead of the cinnamon in these and they are great too!
    Icing:
    1 Mix till a paste almost (you want this thick). Spread on warm rolls and serve.

Yield: 24 small rolls

Recipe Type
    Biscuits

Recipe Source
    Author: Julie Mattison (Mainegg)

Source: BGE Florida Eggfest '09, Mainegg
  • ChefAl
    Actually I was looking for a scratch recipe. Thank you and sorry for not being more specific.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Is any closer?

Rolls, Cinnamon, Christmas Morning

During the 1920s when baking yeast breads was an everyday occurrence, cinnamon rolls were a favored breakfast treat. Today, cinnamon rolls are often reserved for special occasions but they're still great anytime of the year.

INGREDIENTS:
    3 1/2- 4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 package active dry yeast
    1 cup milk
    1/3 cup butter
    1/3 cup sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 large egg
    2 Tbs butter, softened
    3/4 cup packed brown sugar
    2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 cup raisins
    1/2 cup chopped nuts
    4 tsp half-and-half or light cream

Procedure:
    1 Combine 1-1/2 cups of the flour and yeast; set aside. In a saucepan heat milk, 1/3 cup butter, sugar, and salt until warm (120 F. to 130 degrees F) and butter is almost melted. Add to flour mixture along with egg. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl. Beat on high speed 3 minutes. Stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
    2 Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl; turn once. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double (1 to 1-1/2 hours).
    3 Punch dough down. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside. Roll dough into 18x10-inch rectangle. Spread with softened butter. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle onto dough. Sprinkle with raisins and nuts. Tightly roll up into a spiral, starting from a long side. Pinch seams to seal.
    4 Cut dough crosswise into 12 even slices. Arrange slices, cut sides down, in the prepared baking pan. Cover and let rise until nearly double (about 30 to 40 minutes).
    5 Brush rolls with half-and-half or light cream. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden. Invert rolls onto a wire rack or serving platter. Cool slightly. Makes 12 rolls.

Servings: 12
    Preparation time: 45 minutes
    Cooking time: 25 minutes
    Ready in: 1 hour and 10 minutes

Recipe Type
    Bread

Recipe Source
    Source: Better Homes and Gardens®. Copyright 2002. Meredith Corp.
  • uglydog
    uglydog Posts: 256
    Al:
    Here's a recipe I used recently; it came directly from the Kitchen Aid mixer cookbook, and adapted to the egg very nicely.

Cinnamon Swirl Rounds

1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1 cup sugar
    ½ cup butter or margarine, softened
    1 ½ tbsp cinnamon
    ¼ cup all purpose flour
    ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
    1 recipe “ Basic Sweet Dough”

Place brown sugar, butter, sugar, flour, cinnamon, and walnuts in mixer bowl. Attach bowl and flat beater to mixer. Turn to speed 2 and mix about 1 minute.

Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Roll dough to a 10” x 24” rectangle. Spread sugar-cinnamon mixture evenly on dough. Roll dough tightly from long side to form 24” roll, pinching seam together. Cut into24 slices, 1” each.

Place 12 rolls each into two greased 13 x 9 x 2 baking pans. Cover. Let rise in warm place, free from draft, 45 to 60 minutes, or until doubled in bulk.

Bake at 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from pan immediately. If cooking on the Egg, bake @ 325°F ; try on pizza stone with platesetter legs down, spacers between pizza stone and plate setter. Spoon Caramel Glaze over warm rolls.

Caramel Glaze:
    1/3 cup evaporated milk
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 ½ cups powdered sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Place evaporated milk and brown sugar in small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until mixture begins to boil, stirring constantly.

Place milk mixture, powdered sugar, and vanilla in mixer bowl. Attach bowl and flat beater to mixer. Turn to speed 4 and beat about 2 minutes, or until creamy.

Yield: 24 rolls

I cooked them on parchment paper on the platesetter, with the legs down. Next time I think I'll try usind lower dome temp, about 325°F, and cook them on my BGE 3 tier rack, with the rack sitting on the platesetter.

Uglydog
  • uglydog
    Al, I forgot I had some pics of the cinnamon rolls cook. Let's see if I can post them.
    Here they are waiting to go on the egg:
    DSCF0442.jpg

starting the cook
    DSCF0447.jpg

Dome temp (sorry for the fuzzies)
    DSCF0444.jpg

Almost finished
    DSCF0445.jpg

Let us know what recipe you use.

Uglydog
  • ChefAl
    Thanks U.D., but can you include a recipe for "Basic Sweet Dough"?
  • uglydog
    Sorry, Al, can't disclose the Basic Sweet Dough recipe. It's top secret stuff. However, if you promise not to show anyone on the forum, and don't tell anyone it also came from the Kitchen Aid cook book,I'll share it with you:
    Basic Sweet Dough

¾ cup low fat milk
    ½ cup sugar
    1 ¼ tsp salt
    ½ cup butter or margarine
    2 packages active dry yeast
    1/3 cup warm water (105°F to 115°F)
    3 eggs, room temp
    5 ½ to 6 ½ cups all purpose flour

Place milk, sugar, salt, and butter in small saucepan. Heat over low heat until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Cool to lukewarm.

Dissolve yeast in warm water in warmed mixer bowl. Add lukewarm milk mixture, eggs, and 5 cups flour. Attach bowl and dough hook to mixer. Turn to speed 2 and mix about 2 minutes.

Continuing on speed 2, add remaining flour, ½ cup at a time, and mix about 1 ½ minutes, or until dough starts to clean sides of bowl. Knead on speed 2 about 2 minutes longer.

Place dough in a greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover. Let rise in warm place, free from draft, about 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.

Punch down dough and shape as desired for rolls or coffee cakes.

Sorry for the omission.

Uglydog