Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ash Removal, Small BGE?

Options
CurryPowder
CurryPowder Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The ash is starting to pile up in the bottom of my small Egg. I want to clean it out so i can do a slow-n-low this weekend. I've never cleaned the ash out. Whats the easiest way to get it out of there? remove the old lump & ash grate, and scoop it out, or try and scoop it through the small bottom vent? Is the small ash tool the best, or is there some other contraption that would work better?

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    CurryPowder,
    I got the small ash tool when I got my small egg, that is all I`ve ever used and it works fine..others may have alternatives...[p]Wess

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    CurryPowder, I made one using a small piece of brass about 1.25" x 1.75" pop riveted on to a strip of metal that I had bent at 90°. Does a great job for me.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • tn slagamater
    tn slagamater Posts: 623
    Options
    CurryPowder, ALWAYS buy the SMALL ash tool. It fits all eggs.The small ash tool works on Large, medium, small, or mini. The large ash tool will not work very well on a smaller egg. It does not fit.

• Outlaw
    Outlaw Posts: 11
    Options
    CurryPowder,The only thing I have ever used to clean out my ashes is a shop vac. Just be absolutely sure the ashes are cool.[p]Outlaw