Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder Roast

Options
Donwon9999
Donwon9999 Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am cooking a pork shoulder roast about 4 - 4 1/2 lbs in size.

Looking for tips on how to cook it
- Inject it with something
- how long per pound
- What rub on the outside
- Do I spray with apple juice as it cooks?

Any help would be great as the inlaws (or is that outlaws) are coming for dinner!!

Comments

• JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Are you going to try and pull it or make sliced out of it? Would do it indirect eather way 250-300. Lower temp for pulled and higher for sliced if in hurry. To be honest I have stuck a needle in every kind of pork I know and really can't tell it does a whole lot like on a turkey. Course I ate a raw habenerro pepper with my sausage and bisquit I had at midnight tonight working graveyards so I might not be objective! :laugh: Really think a good rub would do best eather a store bought or your own. An easy one is 1/2 part brown sugar and remainder 1/2 a mix of cumman,peprika,chilli powder, ground red pepper,ground ginger and a good helping of cracked black pepper. You can vary the minor ingrediants to your preferance such as more red pepper and less peprika ect. Pulled pork comes off at 190 pluse. Sliced I'm really shy about saying cause people have strong oppenions on pork doness but if it were MINE I would pull around 150 to 160 max. Unless its a loin pork is fat enough that its pretty forgiving meat which makes it perfect for someone like me!! :P
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I have two pork shoulder roasts and a 12# brisket on the egg now. Put them on last night around 7. The shoulder is 188.

Slathered with mustard
    Rubbed one with Sucklebusters Hog Waller
    Rubbed one with Bad Byron's
    No spritzing
    No injection - you can if you want but I don't
    Dome at 235 and holding

I haven't cooked one that small - I would guess 4-5 hours to get it to pulling temps at a dome temp of 230-250.