Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

hinge springs

Options
cooksome
cooksome Posts: 88
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does any one have trouble with the hinge springs non a large egg? My lid movesvery nicely but when its raised the balance is a little to loose, a small wind will cause it to fall and close.I thought about tightening the hinge bolts but that may cause a loose close if it were'nt pressed closed. any comments?;)

Comments

• Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    It appears that you intended to add a picture….That would help out a lot!
    I have had all sort of hinge problems, but nothing as you describe.
    However, I would NOT recommend doing a tightening of the hinge bolts unless they are extremely loose….Too tight is bad! And…This should have nothing to do with the holding power of the spring / hinge assembly.
    All that comes to mind is to ask if you have the Egg level, not leaning forward, as that would change the physics in regard to the center of gravity.
    I also seem to remember a thread, that I saw some time ago now, where the assembly was installed up-side-down, but I don’t remember if that situation resulted in a holding problem.
    Sorry I can’t be of more help.
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    How old is the Egg?
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Tightening the following nuts most times fixes this problem :

LargeSpringAssy1.jpg
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    John,

Two questions...why and how

Why would tightening those nuts make it stronger or did you mean less wobbly?

How do you superimpose those white arrows on an existing picture?

Thanks,

Ron
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    That was three questions! :laugh: I didn't say anything about making it stronger. I've seen these nuts so loose you get a wobble, sometimes the dome can "leapfrog" (i.e., not return to it's proper position on the base when closing), and sometimes leave huge gaps between dome and base when closing. These probably should be checked every once in a while like the band carriage bolts (unless using your double nut method! ;) ). You can make them so tight it's difficult to open and close the dome......but, when it's that tight, it sure ain't gonna come down unexpectedly! B)
    The superimposed arrows were done in Photoshop.