Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Marlin 336SS Lever Action Rifle Stainless Steel 30

Options
Sundown
Sundown Posts: 2,980
edited November -1 in Off Topic
any one got any experience with this rifle?

Comments

• Rusty Rooster
    Options
    I have used the blued model 336C in 30-30 for over 30 years, but do not have a SS model. Can I answer anything specific for ya?
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I have used a Marlin Lever action 22 since I was a kid. Loved it and it is still wikkid accurate.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    As far as lever action .30 caliber rifles go, Marlin is pretty much the gold standard.

What is the intended purpose? Assuming you are looking at a .30-30 and not a .35, with the short barrel you won't have much stopping power outside of maybe 100-125 yards. You'll lose a lot of muzzle velocity and accuracy.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Rod,

My business partner just bought one in 50 cal. He says it has lots of stopping power. Last deer he shot they found a bit of an antler and a hoof.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    A .50 cal round is a completely different animal than the .30-30. I use a little overkill when I deer hunt too -- big holes mean I don't have to chase them far. The last two I shot only traveled about 2 feet.....straight down.
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hey Cpt'n

I have several Marlin .22's, mostly lever actions. My oldest is a 1904 Model 1897, next is 1933 Model 39, then a 1953 Model 39A w/Ballard rifling. I have a Model 39D that was made to look like the 336, a 39M Mountie, about 3 commemoratives and a 2008 Model 39AS still unfired. I also have a 1963 Model 99 that was not sold by Marlin till a couple years ago. It predates serial numbers on their guns and they had to make one up for it. A couple have period Marlin scopes and they are all wonderful rifles.
    DSCN2626.jpg
    DSCN2740.jpg
    The longest gun in production in the world. My 1904 is mechanically almost identical to the 2008. Still American made and a great shooter.

Gator