Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

temp control question

Options
J_ Rod
J_ Rod Posts: 18
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I started the egg and let it stabalize for about an hour was holding 275 perfectly. I added approx. 15-17 lbs of ribs about 40 minutes ago and I can't get the temp above 185 (bottom vent is wide open). is this normal? this is my first cook at a low temp with alot of meat that really affected the dome temp. should I just let it go and rise as the meat temp increases or keep fanning the vent to get it to rise as quickly as possible? thanks

Comments

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    make sure you dont have any air constrictions going into the dome lid. The top is open right?
  • AlwaysGolf
    Options
    Make sure the thermo isn't sticking into the ribs.
  • J_ Rod
    J_ Rod Posts: 18
    Options
    I finally got there. It was the top vents. I didn't realize that I had to open it up all the way to get the thing stabalized. wasn't thinking straight.

thanks
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Normally when you get the Egg to the cooking temp you want, let it hold there with everything inside in place for 45-60 minutes, and then put the meat in - - it can take sometimes and hour to return to cooking temp (especially with large cuts of meat.) The cool mass that is added soaks up the heat.

The biggest mistake most new Eggers make is chasing temps when they start doing low and slows. Stabilize as descibed above and don't make adjustments unless things are just not moving. When you make an adjustment, wait 30-45 minutes to see where it's new stable point is. Think of it as a big ship - slow to turn.

Good luck and enjoy
    Kent Madison MS