Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first 100% solo cook

Options
Angela
Angela Posts: 543
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got the new egg in the table and since it was getting dark I needed something for a quick cook so I did pizza.

My first 100% solo cook from start to finish. Set up the coals in my egg, lit the chimney starter, spread them and used one of the guys suggestions here of leaving the daisy wheel off since I wanted to shoot for 600+ temps.

Did plate setter legs down this time and found that I did not have the flame throwing I was experiencing with legs up. So I'm going to stick with that. Used the feet with the pizza stone, hit 650 very fast and had a great cook.

Pizza was made totally from scratch with my homemade dough and sauce, sausage and mushrooms which were sautéd in the sausage grease, mozzarella, fresh basil and fresh thyme. Everyone agreed was the best pizza ever.

Nice feeling of satisfaction of handling the fire building all on my own.

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg
Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    WAY TO GO!

You won't be looking back now. ;)

Looks Awesome
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Oh, you are good!! :) I can't wait to see you grow!! :);)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Pizza is something that I would definately NOT call a "quick cook" I let my large stabalize for at least an hour before making pizza..glad you had good results...next time let it all stabalize for longer and see if you aren't more pleased with the results..
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
  • cooksome
    Options
    You did good. I've never tried pizza,Maybe I should thanks for the photos
  • toothpick
    toothpick Posts: 154
    Options
    That seems ambitious to me for a first cook. Way to go! It looks great. I hope you were happy with the result. I've never tried pizza, so thanks for the inspiration.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Awsome job! I wish my first pizza came out like that.
  • JB
    JB Posts: 510
    Options
    That's pretty darned impressive Arduinna for a first cook, especially pizza, one of the more difficult things to master. You will love experimenting on the Egg, different setups, temps, techniques. Enjoy!
  • ThunderBunny
    Options
    Wess....why let the cooker stabilize? What does that time provide?
    And beautiful pie by the way!
  • ThunderBunny
    Options
    Arduinna, why did you put the ceramic feet between the stone and the platersetter?
  • WessB
    Options
    It lets the pizza stone be at the same temp the thermometer is....lot of mass inside the egg...best analogy..think brick oven..everythin hot..everything radiating..everything equal..
  • WessB
    Options
    I know you didn't direct your question to me..but I will answer..the platesetter is the first line of heat deflection....it's pretty HOT..the air gap between it and the pizza stone allows more accurate temps..
  • Angela
    Options
    When I said it was a nice quick cook, I meant that it's a short time from putting the food on to eating it, and that so chose pizza over doing a low and slow slab of meat.

I agree with you on the 1 hour preheat once it's at temp, and that is what I do and did on my previous pizza cooks. I was just excited at doing all the fire building ect myself because previously I had let my husband do that and I just cooked.

I was also thrilled that it hit 650 really fast and on it's own, because last time I couldn't get it above 500ish without the hair dryer.
  • WessB
    Options
    You done fine..dont take what I said as negative..I didn't read in your post that you lt things stabalize for any lenght of time..keep on keepin on...sounds like you might need 2 eggs one for you and one for him..LOL
  • Angela
    Options
    I wanted to try it out due to seeing that was how other people were setting it up for pizza on the forum.

My previous pizza cooks I did plate setter legs up with the grate on top and the stone on top of that. I got a significant amount of flames above the grate that way, but the pizza came out great at 600. Wanted to try higher though and didn't want the flames I got last time especially since my new egg is in a wood table. Our original egg is in the nest.
  • Angela
    Options
    He has had his since 2008, this one is mine :woohoo:

Before it was like he let me play with his toy, now I get to learn how to do it all on my own and it's exciting.
  • Angela
    Options
    Thanks :) It is really exciting to finally be able to handle everything myself from starting the fire on.
  • Angela
    Options
    Thanks, I can't wait to try out new things.
  • WessB
    Options
    I used to use the same plate setter legs up..cooking grid with the pizza stone on it set-up for many years with sucess.... until Zippylip shared with me platesetter legs down...egg feet or other similar device..and BGE pizza stone on top of that and it has worked for the most part flawlessly for me anyway ever since...there are many ways to skin a cat..we all find and decide which we like best...
  • WessB
    Options
    He aint offerin no advice???..just throwin ya to the wolves...but yet he gets to eat your eggsperiments...aint right at all I tell ya...
  • Angela
    Options
    I agree with Wess. We did some experimenting about 2 weeks ago and my hubby wasn't patient about putting the pizza he made on. I told him his pizza could be the guinea pig then :laugh: the crust texture wasn't a good as when it's had an hour preheat, at least to me. He ending up agreeing with me too.
  • Angela
    Options
    yes, I'm glad I tried it both ways. It cooked fine legs up, but I am sticking with legs down now.
  • WessB
    Options
    Keep us posted on your success...
  • Angela
    Options
    He is a guy, he offers advice. I ask, if I am unsure. But I also like to try things for myself.

Tonight the starter coals were ready in the chimney and I was inside and he called out, you want me to dump them in for you. And I yelled NO! I wanted to do it all from start to finish for once.

Give me some time and I'll be saying, honey go dump my coals for me would ya :laugh:
  • Angela
    Options
  • Angela
    Options
    You should try pizza on the egg, you'll never go back to take out!
  • Angela
    Options

definitely give pizza a try it's great on the egg
  • Angela
    Options
    I confess it wasn't my first pizza. It was my first time doing a whole cook from starter to finish.
  • Angela
    Options
  • WessB
    Options
    You dont need to use a starter chimney with the egg...the egg itself acts just like a "chimney" I use only 1 starter cube..contrary to what many say hear...1 works for me....light the cube..let the temp rise and the cube burns out..the temp drops..the lump starts burning and the dome temp starts to rise again..then start to adjust for your desired cooking temp....very very easy once you let the egg do it's thing..