Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yoshiblade Ceramic Knives

TXTriker
TXTriker Posts: 1,177
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone know any thing about these?

Comments

• I am not familiar with the brand. I have a Kyocera Nakiri vegetable cleaver. It is great for slicing veggies. It is the sharpest knife I have ever used with a very thin blade. It goes through carrots, tomatoes, celery, and just about everything else I have tried very quickly and neatly.

The thing about ceramic knives is that they are very brittle. Therefore, you do not want to use them on anything that might have bones. Therefore, I do not use mine on any meat, even if it is a "boneless" cut. Also, you have to have a soft cutting board such as wood or polymer.

I don't know that I would purchase another ceramic knife in the future due to durability issues. I can have mine sharpened, but it has to go to the factory for that. You cannot use anything you would normally use on a steel knife. Then again, I have had mine for over a year and it is as sharp as the day I bought it, and it never needs a steel since there is never any edge roll.
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    I haven't used that brand but I have owned ceramic knives before and as much as they are super sharp the durability isn't great. As a result I chose not to replace mine.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I saw them advertised on TV.And if you act now you can get two for the price of one,plus a ceramic peeler!Not one .BUT 2!!! ;)
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Glad you asked. I saw the same thing Hoss referred to (I literally turned around to check the TV...it was really real!). ;) I wondered, but not enough to-ACT NOW! Sometimes its just good to know you aren't missing out.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Staci,

Speaking of missing out....I would hate for you to miss out on all the fun next month. Any new thoughts?
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Love it Hoss. I always wonder, "if they are so good, why do I need two?" Two of whatever it is that is being sold.
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Funny you should say that. I was just rereading and trying to decide.

Here's where I am. I don't know if this is a family friendly deal. My sister and her niece might be on board, but most likely, I'll be by myself. Sooooo I'm not an ice fisher, or a snowmobiler, or an ice skater. Don't want to be a stick in the mud, or look like a fun hater, wondering if this is my speed.

Whatdyathink? Don't want to show up and be a buzz kill.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Ray...I have a Kyocera....It was one of my "must haves" a couple Christmas' ago. I will never spend money on ceramics again. They have no "weight" behind them....and they can chip or break easily. Better to invest in a good steel blade. Just my two cents. ;)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Staci, I've never ice fished, but I fish. I've never snowmobiled and certainly can't ice skate.I think it'll be a blast so come!! :):) :laugh:
    We gotta meet!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Ray - Before you jump in, Google 'yoshiblade reviews'. In fact, Google '???? reviews' on just about anything you plan to purchase (especially on-line).
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Staci,

Trust me. No chance you could kill any buzzes. :laugh: Your IN :)

Regarding your sister and niece, let me know, as it stands you guys could have one of the 3 bedroom cabins. No other kids coming though.
  • I Googled "yoshiblade reviews". What I got was mostly what appear to be paid reviews that say this knife is the best thing ever. Almost none of them mention the issue of chipping and breaking that you have with ceramic knives. Also, it appears customer service and ordering process are big problems.