Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

calibrate thermometer

Options
Waterscapes
Waterscapes Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How do you calibrate the dome thermometer?

Comments

• coalspeak
    Options
    here is a link - scroll down to #57.... ;)
    www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#otherthermometer
    Bill
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Put just the tip of the therm in boiling water..not touching the sides of the pan..right behind the face ot the thermometer is a nut..I believe it's 7/16 hold the nut with a wrench and turn the outer edge of the therm face until it reads 212° while in the boiling water....
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Bring a pot of water to a boil. Place the therm spike into the water. I hold it with a pair of pliers just under the dial. Note how close to 212 the therm gets. If not close, use the pliers to twist the nut at the top of the spike. It can be quite stiff, but a twist in the right direction will fix the problem.
  • WessB
    Options
    You answered the easier way... :laugh: and certainly more detailed..The Whiz has got it all...
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Options
    Here is how I like do mine by using some stiff, but bendable romex cable (used for house wiring) and a clamp to hold them over the boiling water.

calibrate.jpg

Frees up both my hands to hold a wrench or pliers and to twist the dial to adjust if needed. Pull out one, drop in the next one to calibrate.

I also do this to calibrate all the pit and meat probes used for my stoker so I can do about a dozen different thermometers and probes fairly quick.
  • FuzzMan
    Options
    Don't forget, if you are at high elevation this will vary. At 5000 feet the boiling point is only 202 degrees.
  • WessB
    Options
    Honestly didn't think I had to metion that..kinda figured people that would be affected by that would already know that...but on those that didn't's behalf..I thank you...and hopefully they would Thank you just the same..Welcome to the wonderful BGE forum...