Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stainless Egg Table

CITYSWINE
CITYSWINE Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
Anyone have or seen one of the stainless steel carts?
Really want to upgrade my large from nest into something a bit more functional. Wife hates the idea of a wood table and I'm not a huge fan from a maintenance perspective so looking at stainless steel options.

Egg will be in a shaded spot so not too concerned about it getting hot in the sun.

Any thoughts/comment on this specific table or other stainless steel options.

http://www.charcoalgrilldepot.com/item_name_BBQ-Guys-Stainless-Steel-Grill-Cart-For-Large-Big-Green-Egg-Ceramic-Grills_item_2532792.html

thanks and happy New Year to all you eggheads

Comments

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 63
    You've already considered the most serious issue - the heat absorption of the steel. And as long as you understand that "stainless" doesn't mean "no stains at all," you've covered the maintenance issues. I've not seen one of the tables you've linked to but I do use a stainless food prep table as a side table - bought it at Costco several years ago for about $100 - and its pretty good. (I've often thought of cutting a hole in it for the Egg but it isn't worth the effort.) Bit $1,000 seems a bit pricey. You might consider looking for used restaurant tables and make your own from one. Plenty of restaurants regularly go out of business.
  • Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    Well I have to say...
    I recently built myself a really nice stainless steel BGE table for my large.
    And I'm at over a grand... :(

It is amazing cool, (it's even got green L.E.D.'s...!)
    I am pretty well convinced that stainless is the way to go. The table is HANDY. Plop meat right on the table when I need to, cleans up super easy, and is just plain tough!
    Pictures soon to follow, in a couple days.
    Just got a new camera and need to join photobucket or some such...
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    CITYSWINE,

I picked this piece up used from a restaurant supply place a few years ago. Just needs some bracing and a granite top and it will be good to go this spring.

steve007.jpg

DSCF2585.jpg

DSCF2586.jpg

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• You have a good idea using an existing set like you did. I am always following an internet based auction site and they often have these kind of tables for rediculous prices. See below.
    http://rasmuscatalog.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?rasmus461/category/ALL
  • KCEGGER
    KCEGGER Posts: 29
    check out www.selectoutdoorkitchens.com i just got one of their cabinets. they are great.
  • Thought about doing the restaurant table/cabinet thing and getting a hole cut for egg but not up for the project of find the right type of restaurant equipment, then finding someone with a plasma cutter for the hole. A grand is a lot for a cart but it's something I know will last, it will be functional (I risk doing something wrong doing on my own) and in the end adding in all the time to do it DIY it might be cheaper.

The cabinets from select outdoor kitchens look really interesting will need to consider those.
    Those brown cabinets look like powder coated steel so a bit concerned about rust if it gets chipped.

Any pics of non-wood tables would be much appreciated.
  • ignore my comment about the brown cabinets being steel....they looked very similar to a cart i had looked at that was made of powder coated steel...the ones in link about are a marine type plastic.
  • ignore my comment about the brown cabinets being steel....they looked very similar to a cart i had looked at that was made of powder coated steel...the ones in link about are a marine type plastic.
  • any idea what those select outdoor kitchen cabinets cost? Looks like a really interesting option.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    CITYSWINE,

If you mean the used restaurant ones, I paid about CDN$500

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Here is a pic of my table....originally a Costco food prep table found on sale for $150. Had a friend laser cut the hole and moved a brace under the top....cost me a box of beer.

http://picasaweb.google.ca/day3pc/BigGreenEggCooks#5374772432500820498
  • Alki...that's a really nice simple table. I don;t know were I'd get a costco or restaurant stainless table plasma cut. Sure I coult my a metal shop if I tried hard enough but still chance things go wrong.

that cart from bbqguys link would be perfect but having a hard time putting trigger because of price, few hundred cheaper and it might be a decent deal.

good thing is the egg dont care what it's in...food is awsome regardless
  • I am selling carts that I make from Steel and Stainless tops and since advertising is not allowed and you guys are not in my city I will tell how to have a metal cart
    made for cheap Draw up a simple table
    Put an add on craigs list for a welder to weld it up
    you can use 1.5x1.5 14 gauge steel its about 22.00 for a 24ft stick you will need 1 1/2 sticks to make a 3ftx2ft
    cart dont pay any more than 150.00 to the welder to make the cart a proper weld shop will charge you 500 to make it but you just need a guy that works at that place to weld it up in his home shop for the top and the shelf for the egg to set on find a place to sell 14 gauge or 16 gauge stainless buy the piece or sell you a rem
    a 2ftx3ft of Stainless in Austin is about 50.00
    make sure you check around a plasma or waterjet guy should charge you about 50 but once again offer to pay cash that a nice little cart for 400
  • BGECARTGUY,

can you post some pics of carts u have made?
  • You can see my Cart picture here I would love your
    opinions of my carts there is also some CAD of future carts and tables
    I am new to a form and I cant figure out how to post photos to this

http://picasaweb.google.com/carysdesign
  • beerguy
    beerguy Posts: 116
    Looks great. Would you build one for an XL BGE? What would the price be. I want a stainless cart and yours looks beautiful!
  • What size is your BGE? and if large what was the hole size, great idea?