Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Place Setter

Options
BigGreenDave
BigGreenDave Posts: 149
edited November -1 in Forum Feedback
Hi every one I just found this forum and have a question. I have a nnew egg I got from my mother for Xmas she saw it at the pool store when she was buying a cushion for the hot tub we have. Anyway I started the egg with a little starter fluid and it was fine. I haven't never used charcoal and have a old gas grill. I wasn't sure if lighter fluid was okay, but it smells fine. It smells good like when you pump gasolene and then burns away really quick.

My question is do I have to use the place setter (the pizza stone thing with legs) each time? I did steaks and they were good but didn't have that grilled type of look. The guy at the store said the place setter was required. The steaks were grate but can I use this like a grill or do I have to have a place setter in?

Thank you
David M.
Dave Montgomery at Wheeling West Virgina

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Dave,

Hello and welcome first! Second, never use lighter fluid, it will leave a foul odour in the egg. The plate setter is for indirect cooking when you don't want the stuff you are cooking to be exposed to the coals and some other reasons. For grilling, you do not want the platesetter in.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BigGreenDave
    Options
    Thank you for the warm welcome.

I will try it without the place setter. We are going to try a lasanya tonight for my mother's birthday, and i will try it like you say without the placestter.

What time and temperature for the lasagna do you recomend? It is a small 8x8 square pyrex dish just the two of us the way we like it.

Thank you.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I would do lasagna indirect myself to keep the bottom from burning. I don't know how others would do it. Plate setter in, legs up with the grid(grill) on top. Use the same temperature as you would in your oven, probably 350*-375*.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BigGreenDave
    Options
    Thank you. Sorry for the stupid questions I will probally have a lot of them!

So indirect means with a place setter. I got it. I will probably needs to put the place stter thru the dish washer because it got really greasy from cooking the steaks. I actually cooked them on it instead of the metal grill :(

do you people spend all day on this forum. I could, but my boss will get mad at me. By boss I mean my mother! she bosses me around but it's fine. I lost my job in march but it is all good.

Thank you again for your help. All of your food pictures look great I hope I can cook as good on this grill someday. It has been fun so far.

Dave M.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Dave,

I wouldn't put it through the dishwasher, best way to clean it is leave it in the egg for a high temp burn. If the stuff is on the flat part, using it in the "legs up" position will clean it ok. Remember to get it warmed up in the egg before you put your food on because it will cause low readings, relative to the air settings until it heats up.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BigGreenDave
    Options
    thank you Steven