Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ PIT MASTERS!!!!

johnrezz
johnrezz Posts: 120
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I DVR'd some episodes of this and finally got around to watching it last night..... What a joke. If this is what people are like a BBQ competitions I know one place you will never see me. I can not believe the ignorance and pompassness of the people on the show, Particular that jacks old south guy.. All you good southerners should be outraged, he is basically representing the South horribly..

Did not make it half way through either show, nothing to gain from it that is for sure, Jerry Springer with some "Secret ingredients".....

I would give it three thumbs down if I had three.....
:(
John

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Funny you say that. My brother said he loved it and wants to go to a fest with me after seeing it. I was leaving his house on xmas eve and he said wait it starts in ten min. I watched about 10 min and thought the same thing.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Don't believe everything you see. Quite a few of us met Myron(Jack's Old South) in Atlanta at BGE headquarters in August and he couldn't have been nicer. He's stayed in touch with me and even invited me to have drinks with him while he was in Kansas City for the Royale.
    I have a sister-in-law who films/directs some shows for that network and others that will tell you that the hardest thing is to make something interesting out of somethings that's not.
  • Ha Ha, Think about like this. What TV commercials do you remember the longest? Is it the really cool one you can only remember a little of the tune or the one that really annoys you? Like HEAD ON applied directly to the forehead.
    It's all scripted and staged for sound byte effect.
  • LFGEnergy
    LFGEnergy Posts: 618
    Is that the one that Lee Ann of Wood Chicks is on? Use the TiVo and you will see she is carrying the BGE banner into competition for her chicken cook!!!!
  • helper wrote:
    Ha Ha, Think about like this. What TV commercials do you remember the longest? Is it the really cool one you can only remember a little of the tune or the one that really annoys you? Like HEAD ON applied directly to the forehead.
    It's all scripted and staged for sound byte effect.

While it's true that one will remember the annoying commercial, it's also true that when I see that commercial come on now I change the channel and would never buy the product. Kind of the same reaction I had after watching the show the first time.
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    And you will notice her using a bottle of Dizzy Dust ;)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

It's good to see that some of those folks are using the best.

GG
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    JFYI-she beat Bobby Flay in a PP throwdown,then again ,who on here could'nt???! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    See above post! :)
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Howdy John. I am really enjoying the show, and luckily got to be in a little part of it cooking with Lee Ann in Murhprysboro. And have been at a few of the comps that they filmed. I do see what you are saying, and actually....no...it's not really like that out on the bbq trail. This is TV.

There is a little bit of trash talking out there for sure, but normally good hearted. Competitors actually help each other out a great deal. One competition years back, I forgot all of my injections and sauces, and was able to get everything I needed from fellow competitors. It's actually a good karma scene, and many good friendships and parties. And if you think about it, that alone might not make entertaining TV.

Yeah, Myron is a little cocky and will tell you he is number one, and Johnny IS actually a grumpy ol' fart. But both are good friends, and if you don't take stuff personally, they are actually really easy to get along with. And they are some seriously tough competitiors. I think they are making some pretty good TV actually. Seems like all TV is "over the top" these days, and this show is no exception. I find it highly entertaining.

Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Lee Ann should be on all the episodes, and the eggs are an important part of her cooking.

Cheers
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • bryansj
    bryansj Posts: 79
    That episode will reair next month.

Feb 17, 2010
    9:00 PM ET/PT

Feb 18, 2010
    12:00 AM ET/PT

http://www.foodnetwork.com/throwdown-with-bobby-flay/pulled-pork/index.html
  • Yeah, granted I'm a total newb here, but I enjoy the show. I'm in REALLY early learning stage, unlike you pros, so anything I can actually "see" as opposed to just read is great for me.

I'm also a reality TV junkie :blush:
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    i actually find it refreshing, kinda brings back memories af a few old timers i knew that have since passed away. worlds turning into political correctness and cubicals, only know a few REAL characters now. its funny but theres a certian glare in their eyes that stands out compared to the glazed over look i seem to be seeing in the day to day world. did you hate the movie grumpy old men, gotta love those characters :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Is that really the case, Chris? I see lots of Eggs scattered around Whippen's cook site, but I can't say I've seen her cooking on them. Are they just there because of a sponsorship deal with BGE?
  • I compete 3-4 times a year and am finding many good tips/hints in each episode. I like the muffin pan chicken and showing the turn-in boxes!
    Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering
  • Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Having cooked competition for several years the way I describe what we do is a family reunion where we are all trying to kick each others butt. As Chris said you will will always see folks helping one another out and they will go out of their way to make things work better for a newbie. There are a lot of family teams ranging from Kids to grandparents. The real rowdies usually get taken care of quick by the family because we want this sport to keep going strong and most of us have a few dollars tied up in the contest. Also you can be banned from sanctioned contests for your behavior so your team members will also take care of the problem. Like anywhere else things do happen but I do not ever remember anyone other than a contest sponser having to step in.
    Again I agree with Chris on Myron. Having cooked against him, with him, and for him I've seen him all around. He does this for a living and yes he is very good. I have see him and his team go out of their way to help folks. He has helped more folks become winners than he probably wants to think about. Now about the rowdie part, he like most of us can be rowdie, but then again it's reality TV. The RedNeck Games And My RedNeck Wedding are not a true reflection of the Total South.

Myron does have an EGG!!

Another Friend of Competition BBQ,
    Poppasam
    Jus-Fer-Fun Cooking Crew
  • there he goes being all intelligent and calm and even handed again. it's guys like you that give jerks like me a bad name....

(happy new year. -stike)
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    She said on one of her episodes that the BGEs are her backup smoker. Her main smoker is built in to her trailer. I think she used a BGE when they lost power at one of the competitions, but that was the only time on the episodes that I've seen.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    She said she uses them for chicken.
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    I agree, I watched the first show. Well not all of it, they were so obnoxious I turned it off and canceled my season pass. I was so hoping it would be good, but boy their egos and attitudes were monstrous.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    She said that, but I don't recall seeing her actually cooking on them. I'm gonna re-watch those episodes to see.
  • Nature Boy
    They've been turning in chicken in at every contest from the eggs, and sometimes brisket...depending on how they come out. She's very much a cook that will cook two different variations and pick the best one. She uses her built-in Jed for pork and ribs.

Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    LOL. Happy New Year to you too buddy. I can't get used to stripsteak, and keep forgetting it's you. All the letters of Stike are in your new handle, so that should help me remember!!

Anyways, yeah back to the TV show, they film dozens of hours (hundreds) with several cameras at each event, then they pick 40 minutes (or less) of the most edgy footage, and that's what you see. You don't see what's really going on, you see what they decide makes the best story.

Best of 2010 toya.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • you are so right chris ....you have to 'read' (watch) between the lines. ..like myron making a big deal about the one guy 'stealing' his muffin pan idea. . ..you think if he was really worried about that he would have let it air on national tv??? of course not . . .and in the commercials, they made tuffy out to be this really hard-nosed guy . ..anyone who's ever been to a comp with him knows he goes around a half hour prior to the first turn-in and shakes every single competitor's hand and wishes them good luck (can't imagine he does that at the royal though!!) . ..and after eastern market burned to the ground, leeann was kind enough to buy me briskets at chesapeake a couple of years ago. . ..so you only see what they want you to see for 'good' tv unfortunately . . .

i too think its good tv, but not really indicative of what really goes on at competitions. . ..
  • Nature Boy
    Good points. And maybe since I already know the real people, I can tell when they are "putting it on"....and actually it cracks me up.

Example...do you think Myron would have told Chris Lily he bought 2 of his books cuz he needs something to start his fire if he wasn't on TV?? But dang that was funny ;-)

Cheers bro!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • He did it at the Royal too, just took more than 30 minutes!!