Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pine Table?

Options
CraigheadEgghead
CraigheadEgghead Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
After several years of drooling over the BGE, Santa finally decided that I was good enough to deserve a large for Christmas. My first order of business is to build a table for my egg. I plan on going by the Naked Whiz's plans, but was curious if anyone has used pine for their table? Most I have been seeing are using cypress or oak. If a pine table was stained, sealed and kept on concrete (under a cover when I don't forget), how do you think it would do? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Trojan Egg
    Options
    You and I received the same gift and have the same project going. I used White Pine for the frame and top but used pressure treated wood for the legs. I plan on applying a heavy coat(s) of stain to weather treat the wood. Will update with pics when I am finished.
  • CraigheadEgghead
    Options
    Thanks. Sounds like we have the same idea. Good luck with the build. Hope it turns out well.
  • not sure what the PT is gonna do for you frankly.

whatever you sue to protect the regular pine would protect the PT equally, so there's no need for PT. you'd be paying a premium for the treatment, not using it, and suffering with green fast growth wet wood.

othr than that, i love the stuff. :)
    just saying, folks talk themselves into thinking PT isbetter, and that it automatically affords protection. nah.

you might want to spend a little more for something other than pine if you can. cedar, redwood, mahogany...

it will look better and last longer, and finish options are better.

remember, if PT isn't in contact with damp conditions, or directly threatened by insects, etc., it really isn't doing anything. your table will be high and dry, and that is better for wood than any treatment could possibly be.
  • DrugCoder
    DrugCoder Posts: 219
    Options
    I'm planning on doing a pine table myself. My reasoning for pine is I plan on breaking down and rebuilding our back deck soon, so for our current back deck I'm not too worried about looks. I want to use pine for the first table so I can get the design worked out the way I want it before building it with a more expensive wood. Once the new deck is built I will build another table that matches the look/design of the new deck with a more expensive/nicer wood.

Then I'll probably give the old pine table to my brother so he'll have another reason to explain to SWMBO why he needs an egg.
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    I finished a table for my new large last night. I will post pics on the main forum as soon as I install the BGE.

I used redwood because of the look and resistance to rot and bugs. I finished it with 4 coats of spar urethane on the frame and bottom surfaces and 6 coats on the top and shelf. It turned out really nice.

If you are using the Naked Wiz plans, you should note that he used rough cut lumber. He ripped the lumber to the sizes specified in the plans (i.e. his 1 x 4s were really 1" x 4") If you buy from a lumber yard, like I did, you will likely get sawn clear lumber. Therefore, the dimensions of a 1 x 4 will be 5/8 x 3 1/2. This will make a difference in how you construct the table. I had to add a seventh plank to the top and shelf in order to span the frame. All in all, the Naked Wiz plans are good, but you have to think about what you are doing in order to get it right.

For the work surface and egg base, I used some granite remnants that I had cut to size. They turned out great for only $40.
  • sungoesdown
    Options
    I used select pine to build my table and have had no issues/worries. But my table was not built to last 20 years. I know after a while I will have a built in, so I wanted something that looked good but was fairly cheap.
  • grillmandan
    Options
    PT pine can be used if selected and handled right.
    Use only YellaWood brand, as it is treated with copper.
    You must let it dry for 60 to 120 days to make it workable. You should clamp it with spacers during the drying process to prevent warping. All pieces should be sealed on all surfaces be for assembly. All exposed surfaces should get at least two more coats of finish.
    I have built many tables for the humid buggy coastal Florida environment with no problems at all.