Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Pot ????

Waterscapes
Waterscapes Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have seen pictures from you expreienced cookers. I would like to try cooking some stew in a cast iron pot. Any suggestions what kind and how to prep the cast iron for cooking?

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    I highly recommend Lodge if you want a basic Cast Iron Dutch Oven. They are sold pre-seasoned now...just a rinse and dry, and good to go!! If you have Bass Pro Shop or something similar, you can grab one there. Or look online, but make sure it's free shipping! :blink: Lodge also makes enameled Dutch Ovens, but if you are just learning, save the money until you really get hooked. ;)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Rainman,

If you have the CI already, the seasoning is the same as with any other cook. Some say not to cook acidic stuff like pasta sauce but I don't think it makes any difference. Pot roast, any braise, chili or stew pick up great flavour from the lump.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    4 Qt. is adequate when cooking for up to four, 7 Qt. will feed most families. Lodge is the way to go, well made, evenly cast for very even heat distribution. In my area (Arkansas) they are avaible at gander mountain ( a little pricey), Sports academy ($24.00 for a seven qt.) and TSC
    Have fun,
    Kendell
  • We haven't used them yet, but I bought my husband a Lodge DO and skillet from Target for Christmas.
    LBGE- Atlanta, LBGE and SBGE- Ellijay, GA
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    I like the dutch ovens with the "spiral bail" wire handles (vs the loop handles)but that is just my preference. I have the 5, 7, and 9 quart versions which all fit well in the Large BGE sitting on the plate setter or on a spider.

http://www.lodgemfg.com/Logic-dutch-oven.asp

The camp dutch ovens with built in feet also work well and I have used up to the 14 inch models regularly in my large egg.

http://www.lodgemfg.com/Logic-camp-dutch-ovens.asp
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Lodge is fine for plain cast iron dutch ovens, I do not recommend their enameled cast iron though as it's made in China.

For skillets you can't beat an antique Griswold cast iron pan, much better than Lodge. For enameled cast iron I only buy Le Creuset.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I'm sure it works fine, but I just don't care for Lodge products. There's just something about a well seasoned antique Griswold or Wagner Ware DO, skillet or griddle that, for me anyway, runs rings around anything Lodge ever dreamed of producing. They are cast far better and have a much smoother finish.

If you have any antique shops in your area, check them out. Pieces can generally be had, around here anyway, for the price of a Lodge, often less. Otoh, I was visiting my hometown in Virginia last week and was shocked at what the pirates there are getting for CI, pretty much DOUBLE what I pay. I guess it's a regional thing. Here in New England, it's cheap.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    I got my Lodge CI skillets and DO at Wal-Mart. No shipping charges there.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Check out AMAZON.COM which sells lodge dutch ovens. Mine is 7 quart which is very large. Amazon has a 5 quart one right now for $42.99 with free shipping. I agree that the best handle is the spriral wire bail.

I make bread in the dutch oven, so I like the larger 7 quart version even though it is larger than needed for stews and pulled beef. If I had room to store them, I'd get both sizes.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Cast Iron and the egg go hand in hand.

Only use on the egg.
    Brand is not all that important and get a stove type Dutch Oven - that is no leggs (campfire style).

If you think you will use the DO camping, with out the egg, then I would get one with the leggs and and make sure the lid is tight all the way around the pan.

You have enameled cast iron and regular old cast iron. Enameled is a little easier to clean, but does require cleaning after every cook. Well seasoned CI usually takes a little rince for the inside and it is ready for your next cook.

CI will need to be seasoned. Just google seasoning Cast Iron Dutch Oven and you will get a lot of information. The Lodge website has a great tutorial in their FAQ section. Basiclly you heat the DO to about 350° take some cooking oil and a napkin and wipe the inside and outside of the DO when it is hot. Do it a second time and if you want a 3rd time.

The seasoning just gets better with the more cooking you do.

DO do not need to have indirect cooking, the CI does the heat dispersal for you.

The eats are fantastic.

Here is a roast and spud dish.

doroast4.jpg

doroast7.jpg

If you don't have a DO get one. Walmart has some great prices on enameled.

GG
  • GG -

That roast looks amazing. Can you share the recipe?
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    nodding in agreement with Carolina Q

I love love love my Griswold pans, although I don't have any Wagnar.

I'd get a good 7 qt dutch oven, I have the Le Creuset 6 3/4 qt oval and the 7 1/4 qt round and they are the perfect size for when I make gumbo, chili or stews. I do sometimes wish I had the next size up because I am sometimes cramped for space even with those. I do have a lodge camp oven but I only use it camping.

on a side note, you can't beat an enameled cast iron au gratin pan for so many things like baked pasta dishes, vegie sides and of course au gratin potatoes.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    I have put the recipe up in the recipe section. Here is a link to the post I did.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=473938&catid=1

It is a bit of a read but a very easy cook. Hope you give it a try and enjoy the cook.

GG