Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Using Lump Charcoal?

Pa_BBQ
Pa_BBQ Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok I have had my egg for a while, and recently had a hard time getting it up to higher temps, due to ash building up so want to make sure I am using lump correctly now.

Many say to fill up the egg with lump. When you say this do you mean to the fire box?
I was doing this and just kept adding lump to keep it there and although I stirred it to get the ash to go to the bottom, it eventually got built up and was not falling all the way through, even though I stirred it around a lot.

When you fill it, do you not refill until it gets really low and you can see that its good and clean?
Large BGE
Meadow Creek TS120 Stick Burner
Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 

Comments

• I judge my lump requirments by the cook I'm doing. If I can get away with using the lump that is already in the egg, then no need to put in more. Stirring it to knock the ash to the bottom is good, then clean it out with an ash tool ... but also make sure ash hasn't settled into any of the air holes. I often have to stick a finger through them to clear them out. I personally don't let ash build up in my egg much. About every fourth or fifth cook I usually end up cleaning it out with a shop vac. I always do this before long cooks to prevent airflow problems.

Joel
  • JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    I only put as much lump as I need anymore. I only fill up to the fire ring on low and slows. I like to clean the firebox between cooks for the best air flow. I have a metal basket to put old lump in to shake the ash out.
    031509003.jpg
    I know this is overkill but I am a bit ocd! I have never had a fire go out, this could be the reason or just my natural redneck fire building skill shining through!
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Pa_BBQ
    I'm a lazy Egger, only clean my Egg out every 20-30 bags of lump. Almost always just pour in new lump over old and start fire. I'll clean the ash from the bottom when it looks like it is high enough to block air flow -from the front vent with the ash tool.

The only thing I do each time is stir the old lump enough to expose the side holes on the fire box to ensure they are not plugged. I start my fire and about 15 mins later I wiggle stick the fire grate to get any ash to fall through.

When I first got my Egg I was very OCD about the ash in the bottom, well as time goes by the opposite has happened.

Enjoy the cook - let the Egg work, not you!
    Kent Madison MS
  • Pa_BBQ
    Thanks guys, I was just adding and adding to keep it full, even used up a partial bag of kingsford briquets in the chimney once to start. I only recently let it burn down and sure enough most of the holes were plugged.
    Large BGE
    Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 
  • BBQMaven
    It only take a minute to stir and check... ensures hours of good Eggin....

Happy New Year
    Kent Madison MS
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Pa_BBQ, Where in Pa are you located?
    Brian
  • Pa_BBQ
    Warren, Pa just SE of Erie
    Large BGE
    Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 
  • Maven, this is good advice. I should probably ease up a little since I am still cleaning after every 3-4 cooks.

Stir...check holes...add lump...light...wiggle

Seems easy enough.

Thanks,
    Bryan
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Buy or make a wiggle stick. Even if you don't have time to clean out the lump, the wiggle stick will clear out the holes in the fire grate and give you a good air flow.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • BBQMaven
    Any other way and it becomes work... that's not why I bought an Egg... simple is easy!

Oh, and the time you save, well - try an adult beverage and stare into space! Oh the life!
    Kent Madison MS