Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Enclosed base, or open?

3Pedals6Speeds
3Pedals6Speeds Posts: 439
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
What's the consensus on building an enclosed versus open base table? I live in snow country, and wonder if an open base table would be problemmatic in the winter (filling up).

Also - Is it possible to basically build it open, then simply encase it later, leaving openings to mount doors over the areas I choose to be able to access?

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I think this is more a matter of personal preference than anything, but here are a couple of things to consider.
    I live in Florida where bugs, critters and mold can be a real problem, so I use an open table to deny these guys a place to live. I am sure there are a lot of eggers down here who will disagree, but that is just how I see it. Up north an enclosed table may work just fine, and yes, you can always add doors, drawers, etc. at a later date, just use a plan that calls for them so your frame will accept them if you decide you want to go that way.
    Good luck,
    Capt. Frank
  • I have an open table here in VA. Last night I did my first cook since the "Storm of the Century". After shoveling thru 20 inches of snow, I opened up my egg,cleared the area around the air inlet, lit the fire and cooked teriaki. By the time I was done the egg had melted the snow on top. But, the sides were still covered.
  • The snow is exactly why I wonder if the closed base isn't best. I need storage space for platesetters, extra grids, implements of destruction, and if they are frozen together by snow piled upon them due to open sides, it seems like I'm not getting the benefit I expect out of the table.
  • I enclosed my table for the most part, except the front to access the ash tray and really like it. I'm in GA, so I don't have the snow issues, I just like the design. I do get some spider webs in the enclosures, but nothing a quick swipe on the inside with a shop vac won't take care of. Sounds like it might help your situation if you if did enclose it though.
  • G Fitz
    G Fitz Posts: 16
    Here is one with some storage for acc and a granite top.

pizza_1_102web.jpg