Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Cheese Question

BigDaddy - OCT
BigDaddy - OCT Posts: 773
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, it's been 6 days since my first batch so I took 3 different bags to work today and they didn't last 5 minutes. Had one guy throw me a $20 to ensure I include him in my next batch so woohoo!

That being the case, I did another 12 lbs. tonight with the intent of giving most of it away. My question is simply how long will it keep in the 'fridge? Is it freezable?

Okay, that was 2 questions but thanks in advance for the answers!!

Bruce

Oh, now another one. I used the can/soldering iron method and since it relies on the air temp for coolness I'm wondering if if I can use it in the middle of summer if I use a big tray of ice to cool the temps down?? Any thoughts??

Bruce (again).

Comments

• From what I have seen it looks like you do not want to freeze it, it turns crumbly as a result. Not sure how long it'll last, I'm sure the storage time goes up if you vacuum seal it.

On the Whiz's site you can do this in the summer as long as you use the ice like you mentioned. In the summer I'd start early in the morning or late in the evening, try to keep the egg as cool as possible.

A few questions for you if I may. What type of wood did you use for smoke? What type of cheese? Did you prefer one type over another? Would you skip a certain type of cheese?
  • Sounds like you did a great job on the cheese, Bruce.

I'm gonna make my first attempt at cheese later today!
  • This web site has a whole section on smoking cheese. It is in the lower section of the home page, good luck!
    http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/
  • Smoked cheese should last quite a while in the fridge, I should think. It's smoked and it's loaded with salt. No bacteria gonna mess with it. I'm not sure how the smoke would affect mold formation, but I should think it would last as long as unsmoked cheese. Maybe you could set up a web cam webpage on a sample for us, lol! Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Hey Bruce,

That cheese should last for a long time in the fridge. I foodsave all my cheese right when it gets done smoking and let it sit in the fridge for a week before anyone gets to sample. That rest period really lets the smoke penetrate and there is no bitterness. I have had some cheese in the fridge for about six months in a foodsaver bag and it tasted fine when I finally opened it. I don't think you will have a problem smoking cheese in the summer. You may have to get up and smoke it early in the mornhing, though. I have smoked cheese at 70 degrees outside, but I haven't done the soldering iron thing. I think that will allow smoking cheese at a higher ambient temperature. Anyways, have fun and good luck.

Eric
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Bruce, I Foodsavor mine and freeze it, works great. -RP
  • I've vacuum packed mine and kept it for almost a year in the fridge and it was just fine.

Somehow I missed the discussion on using a soldering iron. Can you tell me more?
    Best,
    WA
  • Thanks for all the answers everyone. I think most of it will be gone by Christmas but I just wanted to explore my options.

TNW, going to have to pass on the web cam this time. Went home to film my new roof being put on and nothing was working...helicopter or camera.

Thanks Randy, I'll give freezing a couple of pieces a try but glad to hear you're doing it successfully.

I noticed in the link that Canugghead posted that the chips looked wet. I didn't do that with mine. Is there an advantage one way or the other?

Bruce
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,507
    Bruce, I don't soak the chips either.
    -Gary
    canuckland