Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lookin' for some inspiration

Options
WudEyeDoo
WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm trying to think of something to cook besides the typical stuff for this weekend. What's your favorite "kinda different" thing to cook on your egg? Any suggestions?[p]Note to Nature Boy: Not a chance on the squid :)

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    WudEyeDoo,
    Ahhh....there went your chance for sumthin differnt! How'd y aknow I was gonna recommend squid?[p]Anyway, somethin real nice is to slice up chicken, beef or pork into quarter inch slices, and marinade in some nice stuff for an hour or three, then thread onto skewers and grill. Tonight I took pork sirloin chops, and sliced em up, and marinated in OJ, hoisin, soy, sesame oil, pepper, and a litle raging river. Put them on the skewers, and shook sesame seeds on. A pretty quick dish to prep, a real quick cook, and a nice change of pace from solid slabs of meat.[p]Nothing more than an idea though, as I am not sure what is "different" for you!
    Beers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Seattle Todd
    Options
    WudEyeDoo,[p]How 'bout Yak? That's different. =)[p]
    [ul][li]Yak Burgers[/ul]
  • BluesnBBQ
    Options
    There's always the infamous stuffed camel.[p]http://bertc.com/wholecamel.htm
    [ul][li]Need a REALLY big egg for this one[/ul]
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    I guess oysters and/or clams are out of the question, too. LOL![p]Jim
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,[p]Camel+Lamb+Chicken......would that be Camlamkin?
    Sure does put Turducken to shame![p]~nikki

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    WudEyeDoo,
    I did a cedar planked filet of salmon last weekend that turned out pretty great.[p]how about lobster tails? stuffed tenderloin (little blue cheese inside... ); a tenderloin roast, maybe marinated (did that last sunday... good god that thing went over well).[p]one thing i like to do is eggplant or sweet potato/yams as a side. i skin the eggplant (not the potato) and cut it into planks lengthwise, about 3/16" thick. coat with olive oil and kosher salt.[p]i do the eggplant at a medium temp. it's actually harder to do in the egg than over gas, because the egg retains so much moisture. basically trying for good grill marks, and a firm eggplant fairly thinned down after the cook. maybe as long as 40 minutes, if you can wait that long. it is an amazing flavor off the egg.[p]same thing for the potato, except it's more forgiving and easier to cook. say half an hour. i let them blister and get some nice direct grill marks, then pull aside and let them cook through til firm but soft.[p]you could do duck. duck is beautiful on the egg. go low and slo as long as you can, and prick the skin to render out the fat. [p]...just a couple ideas.[p]PS DON'T do pancakes (unless the batter is thick enough to span the grill openings)

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    WudEyeDoo,[p]How about coconut shrimp done on a pizza stone and dipped in heated apricot/habanero jelly or king crab legs done with a little alder smoke. Hopefully this multiple pic thing works.[p]<image src="http://members.aol.com/watsoncj/shrimp.jpg"&gt;
    <image src="http://members.aol.com/watsoncj/shrimp2.jpg"&gt;
    <image src="http://members.aol.com/watsoncj/crab.jpg[p]Chuck

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    WudEyeDoo, The 2 new things that I have tried were center cut rack of pork, and meat loaf. Both were awesome. Email me if you want instructions on either. Here's th thread on that, with some good suggestions from the forum on alternatives.