Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The BGE and Vegetables

SkySaw
SkySaw Posts: 656
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We talk a lot about cooking meat on the Egg, but I think that a vegetarian could use an Egg with as much frequency and satisfaction as the rest of us.

The things that make the BGE so special for cooking meat also make it great for vegetables - the ability to get complete control over the fire, the ambient temperature in the Egg, and the moisture retention make Egging vegetables for ratatouille and for grilled sandwiches a real pleasure.

I have been doing grilled vegetable sandwiches for dinner fairly regularly. Some grilled red peppers (whole, blackened, and peeled after they cool), and cut zukes and eggplant. I put the zukes and eggplant in a bowl with some salt and olive oil to coat them a bit. The zukes and the eggplant are cut to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thickness, and grilled on a 400º Egg for 5 minutes per side.

They come out great every time. i used to have to be really careful on the Weber Kettle to get them soft all the way through without drying them out or blackening the zukes/eggplant. No worries on the Egg!

One of the best parts of the sandwich is to take some fresh bread, brush both sides of each slice with olive oil, and once the veggies come off, grill the bread for 30-40 seconds on each side.

Spread some goat cheese and olive paste on the toast, and layer it up with the peppers, zukes and eggplant. For a real taste-treat, spread a little Bomba on it as well :woohoo:

I'd love to know some of your favourite ways to prepare vegetables simply on the Egg.

Mark

Comments