Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold Smoked Salmon

Options
NooBBQ
NooBBQ Posts: 134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It has been a while since I last posted, but I recently bougth a CSG from ProQ.

My first "cook" with it was Cold Smoked Salmon according to this article:

http://www.smoker-cooking.com/coldsmokedsalmon.html

I started with a nice Wild Caught Sockeye filet
ColdSmokedSalmon_112409_0006.jpg

After brining it I dried it in the fridge.
ColdSmokedSalmon_112509_0012.jpg

Got the CSG in position
ColdSmokedSalmon_112509_0021.jpg

and the Salmon (with ice which I don't think was needed that day here in Idaho)
ColdSmokedSalmon_112509_0027.jpg

the CSG after about 3 hrs
ColdSmokedSalmon_112509_0030.jpg

and after 11.5 hrs
ColdSmokedSalmon_112509_0034.jpg

The salmon was amazing
ColdSmokedSalmon_112509_0035.jpg

nooBBQ

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    That salmon looks like it tastes amazing!
    Once you light that there is no stopping it, right?
    I've been pondering cold smoking some salmon. It is so great!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Hoss's BBQ
    Options
    How much was the CSG? Also what type of shavings did you use. Looks Great! Hoss
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    I've seen the ad's for those and thought the idea is pretty neat. I'm assuming that there is no taste what so ever from the candle?

Did you order yours from the UK or is there a dealer in the states?

Luhr Jensen makes many flavors of wood that is pretty fine, I can't tell if theirs is similar or not...
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • PWise
    PWise Posts: 1,173
    Options
    That is a neat looking device... definitely beats the soldering iron in a can hehehe....

great looking salmon too... did you cure it first, like gravlax??

cheers!
  • NooBBQ
    Options
    cookn biker wrote:
    That salmon looks like it tastes amazing!
    Once you light that there is no stopping it, right?
    I've been pondering cold smoking some salmon. It is so great!

Indeed, once you light it, the "train" has left the station.
  • NooBBQ
    Options
    Hoss's BBQ wrote:
    How much was the CSG? Also what type of shavings did you use. Looks Great! Hoss

26.50 GBP

I used the oak that came with it, which was not my first choice for smoking salmon but it is what I had.

I have tried grinding up Bradley bisquettes, but it needs to be pretty fine. I have since ordered smoking dust from smokinlicious, the brand ProQ recommends here in the US.
  • NooBBQ
    Options
    thirdeye wrote:
    I've seen the ad's for those and thought the idea is pretty neat. I'm assuming that there is no taste what so ever from the candle?

Did you order yours from the UK or is there a dealer in the states?

Luhr Jensen makes many flavors of wood that is pretty fine, I can't tell if theirs is similar or not...

The candle is only in there for 40 seconds or so the light it, then gets removed.

I ordered it through the ProQ website, not sure if they fulfilled through the UK or through a local vendor (come to think of it, I am pretty sure it got mailed from the UK, nice thing was that it was a fixed price including shipping)

The wood needs to be pretty fine. I did an experiment grinding up Bradley bisquettes, and my first trial I did not grind them fine enough and the "trail" died.
  • NooBBQ
    Options
    PWise wrote:
    That is a neat looking device... definitely beats the soldering iron in a can hehehe....

great looking salmon too... did you cure it first, like gravlax??

cheers!

I used the method described in this article:

http://www.smoker-cooking.com/coldsmokedsalmon.html

It is a 32 hr process for this size salmon, given Sockeye is out of season, this salmon was previously frozen which suited me fine as the article mentions freezing as an extra measure to kill parasites, also it states that previously frozen changes cell structure so the process "takes" better.

8 hr brine (noon-8PM)
    1/2 hr rinse (8PM-8:30PM)
    12 hr dry (8:30PM-8:30AM)
    12 hr smoke (8:30AM-8:30PM)
  • Got my CSG several weeks ago and the only thing I've had time to smoke was some cheese. It works like a charm and I cant wait to get some fresh salmon, hopefully before the holidays.

Smoked the cheeses for 2 1/2 hours and it was pretty tasty straight out of the Egg but, a week and a half later, after being wrapped and stored in the refrigerator, it was fantastic!

I'm thinking we have a learning curve here. ;)