Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Charcoal vs Briquets?

Options
Pa_BBQ
Pa_BBQ Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been messing around with BBQ a long time, used to use some hardwood in my offset, but for several years just been using Kingsford Briquets.

Can someone tell me some pros and cons of Lump, I may need to make the switch.
Large BGE
Meadow Creek TS120 Stick Burner
Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 

Comments

• TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    If I remember correctly you just bought a BGE to be delivered in a few days. With the BGE there is no option, use lump charcoal only. Once you use lump you will wonder why you hadn't used it before. Better heat and less ash, no coal dust or fillers, just hardwood charcoal- better taste in your foods. Mike
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    I'll probably miss something here, but a couple of points...

1) Ash: Lump gives off a lot less ash when burning than briquettes do. This is important when cooking on the Egg, as excessive ash buildup can clog the air holes, making it hard to reach high temps, and potentially putting out your fire on a long cook.

2) Flavor: Lump charcoal is just hardwood. Briquettes include binding agents which can impart 'chemically' flavors to food cooked over them.

3) Reusable: Briquettes completely burn down during use, so you need to reload after each cook. Leftover lump can be reused, so it is more economical.

4) Speed: I haven't used briquettes in years but my memory of them is that they took quite some time to light and be ready to use. Lump is ready to cook on much faster, in my experience.

There are probably more reasons, but I think that hits the major ones. Hope this answers your question.

-John
  • Pa_BBQ
    Pa_BBQ Posts: 132
    Options
    Thanks, great reading and a lot of information.
    Large BGE
    Meadow Creek TS120 Stick Burner
    Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 
  • BullyC
    BullyC Posts: 142
    Options
    Hi Pa
    everything the other people said about Lump,
    briquettes is true, better flavor, longer burn time,
    , having said that, with all due respect to the gentleman who said you can not use briquettes
    in a egg is wrong. I loaded up my weber chimney
    last week with kingsford briquettes to do a
    DIRECT cook and You can cook direct with briquettes,
    the temp did hold for over a hour at over 350-375
    Long enough to do a Direct cook of say chicken etc.
    The flavor was NONE, so if you like No hardwood
    flavor at all then use briquettes, but like others said,
    you have to clean out every time, If want very little
    hardwood flavor then use cowboy lump charcoal, it
    has very little flavor if thats what you like.
    You will have to experiment with both to see for
    yourself, good luck BullyC