Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shrimp tonight - need recipe please!

Di
Di Posts: 395
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tired of turkey and ready for some shrimp. Was thinking about making some kabobs or bacon wrapped. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Di, my favorite is Shrimp Lejon, here is a link to a post for it & a picture:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=518001&catid=1

IMG_3163.jpg

Another good way is to coat in olive oil, then just add salt, pepper, & hot pepper flakes:

IMG_2043.jpg

Or wrap with a sage leaf & pancetta:

IMG_1534.jpg

IMG_1538.jpg

good luck, Marc
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Di
    Ohhhh, those look good! Thinking about trying my first stuffed jalapenos too. Thanks!
  • Wrap it in bacon dude! They look outrageous! Gimme some!
    FB/SGP
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  •  
    I agree with all of the above, best of all with wrapped in bacon and BBQ'ed. If wooden skewers soak in water for at least 30 min. Pre-cook bacon till light golden but still plenty flexible. I like to alternate shrimp wrapped in bacon with pieces of fresh pineapple and a maraschino cherry on the skewer. Sauce them and give them about 3 minutes a side on about a 350-400º grill till shrimp just cooked through. Yummmy!!! smiley_drool.gif

Gator

• Chris Lilly has a recipe for Barbecue Bacon Wrapped Shrimp with Basil Stuffing that is pretty good. I made them twice and would just recommend precooking the bacon just a little bit, maybe 1 minute in the microwave.

BARBECUE BACON-WRAPPED SHRIMP WITH BASIL STUFFING

Serves 6 (appetizer).

32 fresh or frozen large shrimp in shells

Basil Stuffing
    32 basil leaves, coarsely chopped
    2 teaspoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    16 slices bacon, cut in half
    3/4 to 1 cup bottled barbecue sauce

Cooking Directions
    Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Remove shells from shrimp, leaving tails. Butterfly each shrimp by cutting a slit along its back; remove vein. Rinse shrimp and pat dry with paper towels.

For stuffing, combine basil, Parmesan cheese, and garlic in small bowl. Place stuffing in slits. Leaving tail exposed, wrap each shrimp with half-slice of bacon, tucking in ends.

Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Place shrimp on baking sheet with tails pointing up. Bake until shrimp turn opaque, about 14 minutes. Drain on paper towels.

Dip shrimp into barbecue sauce and place on grill until sauce caramelizes or return to baking sheet and bake until sauce is caramelized, about 3 minutes.

Serving Suggestions
    Company coming? Don't just throw another shrimp on the barbe' ... fix these succulent shrimp appetizers that Chris Lilly, pitmaster at Big Bob Gibson's in Birmingham, Alabama, developed and sampled on the Today show.

Nutrition Facts
    Calories 155 calories; Protein 12 grams; Fat 9 grams; Sodium 601 milligrams; Cholesterol 72 milligrams; Saturated Fat 3 grams; Carbohydrates 5 grams; Fiber 1 grams

Recipe courtesy of Chris Lilly at Bib Bob Gibson's www.bigbobgibson.com
    For more information about The Other White Meat, visit TheOtherWhiteMeat.com
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Zippylip
    If that's the case, try some shrimconpenos:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=514948&catid=1

edit: if for some reason that link above isn't working, just type shrimconpenos in the search function & it'll take you to the thread

IMG_1708.jpg
    happy in the hut
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    A great finishing touch to any of the mentioned methods would to add a little shredded cheddar on top after the second flip for the last minute to let it melt.
  • Di
    Cool. Great pics on the link. Pizza looks awesome. Where did you get your pizza screens?
  • Zippylip
    Picked those up many years ago down on 2nd Street in Philly, about a block north of Market Street, where all the restaurant supply stores are, they got a lot of use over the years in my oven, but when I switched to pizza on the egg, they are now used mainly to remove the finished pies off the stone & for transporting/cooling the pies before they hit the pie pan for slicing:

IMG_1648.jpg

IMG_1653-1.jpg

IMG_1604.jpg

IMG_1654.jpg

027.jpg

030.jpg
    happy in the hut
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC09496a.jpg

DSC09267a.jpg

I leave them in the shell... you will get more way flavor and have less chance of overcooking them. Plus folks like to eat with their hands, and the peeling slows down the pace. My favorite way is to season with seasoned salt & pepper then put in a zipper bag. To this I add a lot (like 8 to 10 cloves to a pound of shrimp) of chopped garlic and a teaspoon of vinegar, then let marinate for an hour. They are good grilled or can be cooked in a cast iron skillet if you add a little oil. When they are done, you can toss with some melted butter and lemon juice, or peal and eat as-is. They don't have to be skewered, they can be cooked on the grate too.

DSC09493a.jpg

DSC09497a.jpg

DSC02327a.jpg

DSC09251a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Nice cook. More toys on the way.
  • thirdeye
    DSC09498a.jpg

That one was a triple skewer cook. It is amazing just how secure the food is on these. No spinning at all.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Di
    Those are great skewers. Where can one purchase those?

Also curious about the grate in thirdeye's pics. Is that homemade? If so, from what?
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    This as simple as it gets ,Marinate in Italian dressing ,only 15 min(Any longer the shrimp wiil cook) Rub w/Prudhommes Redfish seasoning,grill and sprinkle of lemon.
    001-11.jpg
    002-10.jpg
    005-4.jpg

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • thirdeye
    Di,

Richard would be the one to ask about the skewers, I got them through a trade with him. I can take a guess and say he got them down south....a lot farther south than one thinks. :laugh:

That mesh grate you asked about are called disposable grill toppers and I get them at WalMart. They come in round and square in packages of three. They are good for a lot of things like veggies, fatties, fish and even pizza, and despite the name, they can be re-used many times.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Di
    Thanks for the tips. Found the mesh grates at our local Elliott's Hardware.