Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Breast

Options
Eggmoramus
Eggmoramus Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Happy Thanksgiving, Eggers. I have a question about cooking a 5 lb turkey breast. Because of eating elsewhere today it will be tomorrow before I cook myself. Can anyone give a first timer some info on how best to cook a breast. any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    just roast it via the mad max method....
  • Signal 99
    Options
    Just as Chris said - it will be delicious. Let us know your results.
    ~HOPE~ is wishing something would happen. ~FAITH~ is believing something will happen. ~COURAGE~ is making something happen......
  • cdnewman
    Options
    The mad max method certainly has a track record for success. But if that doesn't appeal, we smoked a 5lb breast for our small gathering. Brined with Alton brown's "good eats" brine, rested in fridge for 24 hrs(it really does make crispier skin), then egged at 250 with a handful if cherry/alder chips to 160 deg. Came out juicy with a nice (not overpowering) smoky flavor that blended beautifully with a cranberry chipotle sauce and an Oregon Pinot noir.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Cook it indirect around 325-350 until the thickest part of the breast is around 160*
  • AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Howdy rocrow,

Just did one the other day myself. Here is what I learned:

Overall Game Plan:
    Shoot for a dome temp of 300 degrees, plate setter legs up, using grid, place turkey on a rack, in a roasting pan, and add some white wine to it.

1) Take turkey breast out of package the night before, this will help with the skin crisping up
    2) Take butter out to soften up. Once softened, rub the turkey, doesn't take much
    3) Put your favorite rub on it
    4) Put white wine in the roasting pan, I used a Pinot Grigio
    5) Brush honey over the breast when around 150 degrees (internal)
    6) Pull breast at 158 degrees
    7) Rest 20-30 minutes before carving
    8) Mix some honey with the wine/drippings in the pan and use to drizzle over the turkey breast after carving.
    9) Eat said turkey breast
    :)

Enjoy from AnnaG...
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    I did mine at 325 till 160 in the breast or there abouts. I think I used a local rub and perhaps some EVOO. I also brushed more EVOO about every 30 minutes till done.