Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanksgiving Help

Options
hizzoner
hizzoner Posts: 182
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been chosen to provide the turkey on Thanksgiving. I need a fairly simple recipe. I apologize if this has been beat to death. Someone might just post a link for me if possible.

I am considering brining the night before and getting up early to start my cook. I/we like a good smokey bird. I am also considering stuffing with boudin.....so any pointers are appreciated.

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    here is a link to mad max turkey central

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxcentral/madmaxcentral.htm

it really doesn't get any simpler than this ...you can control the smokey flavor simply by how much wood you add to your fire ...want it smokey? add more wood .. .

but if you want it simple, don't bother brining. . .if you follow my technique, you don't need to brine as it will be plenty moist. . .

and as for stuffing the bird, i recomend putting the aromatics in the bird...and if you want the bird smokey, stuffing (wet bread) will absorb A LOT of smoke, so i'd steer away from that..just my opinion...
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I have over-smoked turkey and it really effected the taste. I do not use any wood chips or very, very few for turkey anymore. The lump imparts a nice mild smokey flavor in my opinion.
  • hizzoner
    Options
    What is a realistic time table for this cook? I am probably going with about a 14 lb. bird.

How much of the prep can be done the night before and what am I looking at in regards to cook time on T-Day?

We plan on eating at about 2:00 p.m. I am trying to figure out how early I need to get started.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    At 350 degrees indirect you will need to cook the turkey 12-15 minutes per pound. read Max's tips & recipe...easy, peasy...cook to internal temp not time when doing poultry...
  • hizzoner
    Options
    I'm thinking that making the stock for the gravy the day before would save some time.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    You can make the stock any time, just do make the gravy. You want the drippings from the bird in the gravy.
  • llrickman
    Options
    I made this on Sunday as a trial run for thanksgiving and it was wonderful

I made a 14lb turkey also The gravy was incredible. It really is easy to make just follow the recipe and your will have a great bird with some of the best gravy u have ever had.
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM