Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Witchy Red Great on Chicken!

Options
Gretl
Gretl Posts: 670
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried the test run on Ken Stone's Witchy Red last night on some boneless, skinless chicken thighs. I marinated them for about 3 hours in soy, garlic, rice wine vinegar, and oil. Then I drained off the marinade, and gave them a big old dose of Witchy Red. Got the Egg cranked and grilled them for about 3 min direct on eleveated grid until nicely marked. Then I put a barrier between them and the fire, turned the heat down to about 300, and let them go for about 20 min, then turned them over and gave them another 20 min. [p]The result was a beautiful red/mahogany color, very juicy meat, and a wonderful flavor that was slightly sweet, and only a little bit hot. I'd have to say that none of the flavors overwhelmed any of the others. There was not a very pronounced Asian flavor, but the overall sweet/tart/hot was just damn near perfect. There were 5 of us, and it was unanymous thumbs-up. [p]I have enough rub left to do something with seafood. I'm planning on shrimp, or shimp and scallops. After the chicken, I'm sure the next try will be delicious.[p]Thanks Ken!
Cheers,
Gretl

Comments

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Gretl,
    I,too, tested the Witchy Red on chicken breasts that had been lightly injected with a liquid mix of Witchy Red and butter, and then the remainder of the WR used as a rub....very good! I had some cold the next morning just to complete the taste test....it really had a great flavor with an aftertaste that kept me coming back for additional bites. I liked it a lot.[p]Mike

• Gretl,
    Who has the measured ingrediants if I may ask? I would love to try this rub. Thanks