Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cypress table / Stain & Sealing Suggestions Needed

Options
Kitarkus
Kitarkus Posts: 181
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
After drooling over countless wonderful egg tables at the Naked Whiz...here...and all over the net:

1) I calculated the materials that I would need given the wood species that I desired and realized that I would be spending far more money.
1.5) I'd still have to hunt down desirable wheels/casters
2) I don't have a chop saw
3) I don't have free time
4) I don't have wood working prowess
5) I like my fingers

etc.etc.et.

I went ahead and bought the long BGE Cypress table. I got it on ebay..it was VERY reasonable (even including the shipping) when compared to any local dealer for the exact same table. It was also only $20 more than buying JUST THE WOOD for a proposed home made Naked Whiz type table (red oak from the local lumber supplier).

Now...I need your expertise. I'd like to stain this table a dark brown color. I'd then like to seal it with some type of wood sealer / lacquer / or some such toxic waste :evil: I like the idea of spilling sauce on it...putting the grill brush on it....then being able to wipe it off with a sponge.

I knowthat it's just wood and it'd be fine....but a boat finish lacquer type stuff might just give it an almost plastic like laminated top. I don't know if I'm crazy....but the table seems pretty decent...especially with a little stain and then a super protective lacquer coating....at least on the table top portion of the table.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• hutchybones
    Options
    I would recommend a staining Danish Oil. (i.e. Watco dark walnut, or dark cherry Danish oil) Easy to apply, extremely durable, weatherproof, will never peel or discolor and can be reapplied whenever you want or think it needs it. You can apply wax or even polyurethane over it if you want more "luster". (I wouldn't recommend the polyurethane, however, because redoing it is a royal pain-and you will have to redo it eventually)
  • Kitarkus
    Kitarkus Posts: 181
    Options
    I sure do like your idea. Unfortunately I stained it last night with a MinWax stain. I most def now need to seal it with a product to make it food safe-ish. I am in Kansas City....broad range of weather including wet and cold and ice. The table is under a covered porch area, however, it will be close to the edge/overhang and will succumb to some weathering. I looked today for a product that could be wiped OVER the stain that I have already done...and could find nothing that I felt was like a dutch oil type product sans stain. I have bought two quarts of the spar urethane....and plan to use it this weekend unless I come up with a superior idea/product. Thanks for your post.
  • hutchybones
    Options
    Just take your time and do several coats. You'll be happy with the results. Post some pics!