Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Butt Just On

Options
Daddyo
Daddyo Posts: 224
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Near as I can tell, Butts are the Super Bowls of BBQ. I've cooked most everything else in my first three months, so I'm goin' after the butt tonight - in the snow.[p]Go one of them Redi-Chek's. Meat 41, Dome 224. Been within 3 degrees of that for about 35 minutes now, so I think I'm stable. It's not like I'm gonna get any sleep though.[p]I'm hoping to serve it during the Iggles' game tomorrow. First photos to follow.

Comments

• Daddyo,[p]Sounds like your on the right track! It will take about 1/2 to 2 hours per LB. You didn't mention a rub but I swear by Dizzy Pig Course Ground for my butts. I usually apply it about 3 or 4 hours before I cook the butt and then, just before putting it on the pitt, I take cheap mustard and squirt it on the butt and mix it up with the rub. The mustard I find helps give you a nice "bark" to the meat. Oh, you WILL get a wake up call from that Redi-chek at 2:30. I doesn't matter what I do and no matter how stable I think the pitt is when I go to bed that Redi-chek wakes me up at 2:30 either because the temp is at my high or low warning point. My BBQGuru is supposed to arrive Monday and with any luck that will eliminate that wake up call. Hope you enjoy.[p]Marty

• Daddyo
    Options
    LAD,
    I did the mustard and rub. Redi-Chek can't wake me up at 2:30 if I can't get to sleep. Mazin' how you can look out the window all night at Mr. Egg chuggin along.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Daddyo,[p]Chug chug Mr. Egg.
    Chug-a-lug-a-lug.[p]Chug Chug Mr. Egg
    Chug-a-lug-a-egg.[p]Smoke wisp
    Wisp-a-wisp[p]All night long
    Wonderful smells in the cold night air[p]Happy faces eating pork
    Sad faces
    Iggles lose
    3 years in a row[p]Heee!
    Enjoy your cook!
    And beers to you.[p]Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Daddyo,
    I am right there with you...first butt went on about 30 min. ago and I am wide awake...definitely going to be tough to not wake up.[p]My initial readings were 220 dome and 43 butt. Slight mist is falling but nothing Mr. Egg can't handle.[p]I followed Mr. Elder's recipe using his rub and a "fistful"
    size of hickory for a cold smoke initially. Only place I am deviating is keeping dome at 220 instead of Mr. Elder's recommended 195. Too many of the eggsperts seem to believe around 225 is good so I compromised.[p]Just checked Mr. Egg and after 30 min. Polder reads 48. I am on my way.[p]Good luck to you and I can't wait to hear a follow-up after the Eagles victory.

• Daddyo
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I can see the Iggles losing. They've won a lot of games this year even though they played badly. That said, they've won a lot of games this year. If McNabb has one of his rare good games, they win. If he doesn't . . . I don't even want to think about it. Yo, maybe I shoulda planned on a cheese steak instead of a pulled pork since we're playing Carolina! Could be bad karma.

• Daddyo
    Options
    biglabmaggie,
    2 hours in exactly and I'm at 224 in the dome and 81 in the meat. Almost too good to be true.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Daddyo,
    As a Skins fan, I could not help myself with my comment. I really don't want the Iggles to win, but I have a feeling they will do it this time. McNabb is gonna be ready, and will probably have more running yards than the rest of the team![p]Sounds like you got some good eatin ahead of you!
    Have fun
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Daddyo,
    I cooked two butts last nite that totaled 13 pounds and they were a big success at a shower for the ladies. :)
    I started them at around 250 with some hickory and when I got up 12 hours later the temp in the egg was like at 175 degrees, with the butts at 149.
    I opened up the vents to get the egg hot (about 300) so as to hurry up the cook
    I pulled them at 190, let them rest a while, then pulled them apart. Result, the biggest could have stayed on longer, but the smaller one was fine.
    So, the moral of the story is, even if you have to cheat and speed up the process of the cook, most people will still like it and think you did great! :)
    But me and the missus knows that this was not as good as it should have been. ;), but it was still very good! :)
    So relax and just keep the fire going and you will make some great food for tomorrow. :)
    later and good luck,
    ChefRD[p]

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    biglabmaggie,
    your temp is fine. I cook most of mine now at around 250. That will render out the fat very nicely and is easier to maintain for me. :).
    You'll be fine from 225 to at least 250.
    later,
    ChefRD.

• Daddyo,
    I just put three on totalling around 17#'s with three different rubs so I can do some comparing (Coarse DP is one of them) Dome 220, meat 48. I am going to bed, it is rainy and cold here. I think the Mr. Egg will be fine with his rain hat on.

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    Daddyo,[p]So did you catch some sleep last night? Unfortunately I can't see your photo but I can smell it by just thinking about it. Hopefully all is going well, I look forward to your report as well as an Eagles win tonight.[p]Chuck

• Daddyo
    Options
    Chuck,
    Some sleep, yes, but not too much. Got a high temp spike, then a low one, then some more low ones, etc. Usually took an hour or so between adjustments. I realize now that I forgot a drip pan and I wonder if fat renderings are dripping off the plate setter and causing flare ups. Never got above 245 or below 195, but I had the alarms at 200-240 with a target temp of 220.