Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Guru fan problem

James MB
James MB Posts: 359
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a problem with my fan which is part of a brand new DigiQII setup.
I am in the UK.

Every so often it won't work - the blower light comes on on the controller but the fan doesn't operate.

It seems the fan has a number of natural "park" positions that it comes to rest at and that sometimes it comes to rest at one from which it can't restart, if you spin the fan from here it carries on happilly. I tried running it continuously for half an hour to break it in and the problem seemed to go away.
I put the overnight cook on and came down in the morning to find the temp low, the control saying it was blowing 100% but the fan stalled.
I gave the fan a spin and off we went. I repeated as (infrequently) necessary during the day.

You'll appreciate that having a dodgy fan reduces the reliability of the whole unit so I'm keen to find a solution.

I tried to recreate the condition by finding the natural park positions and trying a start from rest at each of them (I put a marker pen mark on the fan to keep track).

Initially it seemed the fan had five natural rest positions. This seemed pretty odd as I've no Idea how these things are wound but I would expect an even number. It seems the positions are at the four compass points with one extra between two of them.
The extra one is the one that stalls it.

I have tried a bit of continuous running to wear it in but you'll appreciate how hard it is to determine whether I've done the job. This fifth parking point seems to have diminished, hence diminishing the likelihood of coming to rest in the stall position.

I've tried a couple of emails to their customer service but to no avail, I'm on the other side of the Atlantic so shipping is probably more than the unit.

This brings me to raise the following:

1. Anyone else have an issue like this?

2. If I want to try and lubricate the fan bearing or whatever what am I best off using - WD40?

3. Does anyone know the fan spec - I could always try separating it from the housing and replacing just the fan (seems a shame as it is so nicely put together and silicone sealed) if I can get a direct replacement from Maplin or the like (if they still exist).

4. Any other bright ideas?

Also - if I'm going to do the component purchase bit does anyone know the spec of the DC power connector so I can make a long power lead to stretch from the house?

Comments