Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good &easy pizza sauce w/Hunts

Options
Darnoc
Darnoc Posts: 2,661
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was in a hurry tonight to make up some sauce.I tried Hunt's Fire roasted tomatoes.They do not use any sauce or paste in the product.Just tomatoes.

I used
one can tomatoes drained and save the juice

First cook the items below
1 tbs olive oil
1/4 tsp basil
1 clove garlic mashed
1 tsp sugar
dash of salt and pepper

Put oil in non stick small skillet and saute garlic and basil till done.
Then add the drained tomatoes and and juice and cook down for 10 to 15 minutes.
This was after 12 minutes.

001-52.jpg
Let it cool down before you put it on your dough and I find that if you rub a bit of olive oil on your hands then lightly spread it over the top of the dough it will help prevent the dough from getting to much moisture in it.

Have fun.
Was not bad for a quick off of the shelf fix.I think that I like it better than Fratellies sauce.Because this is chunky and I love chunky.

Comments

• Plumbr44
    Plumbr44 Posts: 212
    Options
    Never tried the canned Hunts... I always have used the San Marzano for all my sauces, but they are kinda pricey at times. When they are on sale, I buy them by the case and raise a lot of eyebrows!!!!
  • Darnoc
    Options
    I believe that Muir Glen and Fratelli have a good following on the forum but after trying the Hunt's I do like the larger pieces of tomato.One big tip in this recipe is to put one tablespoon of tomato paste in the pan and saute till it gets to a dark brown color.Makes for a very intense flavor to the sauce.Then add everything else.
  • Darnoc
    Options
    This is the quick pie.
    002-46.jpg
    \
    003-42.jpg