Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison Backstrap

Semolina Pilchard
Semolina Pilchard Posts: 768
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any recommendations for this? Direct or indirect? Egg temp? Thanks.

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    here is what i have let me know how it is:::

Venison, Backstrap, olblue

A marinade that can be used with game, poultry, red meat or fish

Ingredients:
    2/3 cup Soy Sauce
    1/3 cup Shao Hsing Wine; dry sherry acceptable substitute
    5 Clove Garlic
    1 Tbs Of one or all if you have fresh herbs: parsley, mint, oregano, sage., basil
    2 Tbs Black Pepper Corns
    1 Venison roast: backstrap, tenderloin or ham

Preparation Directions:
    1 If frozen, defrost in the refrigerator at least overnight.
    2 For deer, the backstrap or a roast made from the hams are relatively large. If you are using steak cut from the hams, it is likely to be much thinner than a beef steak and it will cook very quickly.
    3 Trim off all fat, bones and as much gristle as possible.
    4 Crush the pepper corns by rolling and pressing them between a cutting board and a heavy pot.
    5 The garlic should be chopped or sliced finely.
    6 The marinade needs to cover the bottom of the pan or dish you use to marinade, it does not need to cover the top of the venison.
    7 Marinade the meat between 6 and 16 hours, turning the meat at least 4 times. Longer than this and the soy sauce flavor will be too strong.
    Cooking Directions:
    1 Cook at 350°. The exact temperature is not critical, but less than 300° and the outside will not have an appealing look. Over 400° and you risk having a dry and burned piece of venison.
    2 Do NOT expect to see liquid rise to the top of the uncooked surface of the meat. Venison or other game meats are leaner and often thinner than steak. They will cook much faster than you expect. Turn when the bottom looks like it needs to be turned.
    3 Cook util temperature reaches 140 - 145°.
    Special Instructions:
    1 Some venison "roasts" have more bone and gristle than meat. Find out from the butcher what he calls a roast.
    2 Soy Sauce, Garlic and Shao Hsing wine is a great marinade for salmon, beef, chicken or game.
    3 Herbs: use the herbs you have, experiment, mint is highly recommended.
    4 Lamb: cut the garlic in slivers and stab the meat and insert the garlic.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: olblue hsblue@home.com

Source: BGE Forum, Olblue

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Thanks, sounds good. Is that direct or indirect?
  • We like them just like a filet. Slice about 2" thick, wrap with bacon & dust with seasoning of your choice plus a little terryaki, then cook to medium rare at the donest. My wife actually preferrs these to filets now.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Bente's recipe sounds good, but I really think I would prefer slicking and cooking as a steak. Bacon wrapping would be good.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i am guessing direct

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Any lean meat like that is better cooked high and hot.IMHO.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    High temp for a short time. They cook super fast.

Enjoy!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Whatever you do,DO NOT COOK OVER 130 Internal Temp!!!Let rest,serve.Overdone venison is :sick: .Cook to Med rare at the MOST! :)
  • This marinade was inspired by a friend that was using Dale’s Steak Seasoning and a cola as a marinade. Both the Dale’s and the idea for using the cola is something that he had brought home from a hunting trip to Alabama…It’s a very nice taste.

Dale’s is not available here in Northern MN so I thought I would try my hand at putting something (at least) similar together. I like doing that sort of thing anyway, and it turned out real good!

Any meat (chops, roasts, steaks…) would benefit from a good soaking, but sense we were talking about the backstrap. Here is what I do, but remember your doneness level is what you want to shoot for!

JB’s VENISON MARINADE

North Portage Smoke-Shack

1/3 C. soy sauce

1 t. onion powder

1 t. garlic powder

1 t. paprika

1 t. ginger

1/2 t. fresh ground pepper

1 (12 oz.) Coke

1)) Place loin in a 2 gal zip-lock with the marinade. Coat well and place in the fridge. for at least 4 hrs. (Over night will be OK too) turning often.

2)) Remove the loin and wrap in bacon, held in place with tooth picks. Reserve the marinade, if you wish to cook it into an au jus.

3)) Place loin on a hot grill (350 to 400F) turning every ten minutes, cooking to your doneness.

Rule of thumb: Temperature is the determining factor here not time, as the size of a loin will vary. I like to cook mine to about 145 F. or even a little less, medium rare to medium (medium being the 145 F mark). This means pulling from the Egg at at about 135 F. and letting it rest (I tent) for 10 to 15 minutes.

To make an Au Jus of the marinade:

Place the marinade in a heavy sauce pan and bring to a hard boil. Reduce the heat and simmer