Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slightly OT--Shrimp Boil Question

Options
BigDaddy - OCT
BigDaddy - OCT Posts: 773
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For our homecoming game this weekend (Sorry Jeff, I hope we spank your boys) we are doing a crab boil as the main dish. Considering a plethora of side dishes and having corn on the cob, smoked sausage, and new potatoes in the shrimp boil pot are there any guides as to how many lbs. per person?

A couple of our tailgaters have posted on facebook that they prefer shrimp over steak so despite the fact that I respect shrimp I clearly have my work cut out to show them how a good steak can change their lives!

Thanks in advance,

BD

Comments

• jonboy
    jonboy Posts: 163
    Options
    I try to know how many are going to be there and figure 1potato,corn,celery,carrot per person. Shrimp/crabs are a blind guess...
    Ilike to use a box of zatarins and old bay crab boil in each pot. And lots of franks hotsauce to taste.
    I always have too much and use the leftovers to make a fisherman's chowder with it.
    jon
  • c tredwell
    Options
    Dont forget the lemons and mud bugs for a low country boil! With everything else in there, maybe 1/4 lb shrimp and or crawfish per person...
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Hey, Bruce, after last week's debacle with the Huskers, I don't know if the Tigers are going to limp into Stillwater, or come out swinging, looking to redeem themselves. I was seriously thinking about coming to the game, until they announced the late night start.

I sent you an e-mail a couple days ago, via the forum. Did you get it? The lack of reply leads me to believe you didn't.

Have fun, I love doing low country boil. Remember, pork fat rules. The more sausage you put in the boil, the better everything will taste.
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    Hey Jeff,

I hate to hear that you're not going to make it but with an 8:30 kick off I certainly understand that. My daughter is headed to Springfield Saturday for a marching band compitition and I was hoping for an excuse to holler at you but it is a one day round trip so I'll pass on this trip.

I didn't receive an email but you can reach me at br_williATyahoo.com

Thanks for all the advice. 1/4 lb is kind of what we were thinking so thanks for that. Sadly, mud bugs were not brought up but I might have to do a batch just for me! Old bay, Zatarins, and plenty of pork are a given!

Thanks again all!

Bruce