Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Western Canada Thanksgiving

Doug in Eggmonton
Doug in Eggmonton Posts: 1,999
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In the we eat too much meat out west category, last nights dinner was a 15 lb home cured ham ala Dizzy Pig and a 16 lb turkey Spatchcocked ala Mainegg with oven baked stuffing ala Little Steven.

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

The ham cured for ten days then slow roast indirect at 250 for about 6 hours in the egg and then the last 2 in the oven to 140 internal.

While the ham was cooking we made this stuffing using Little Stevens technique, it worked great but the rice needed to cook a little more before going into the oven doing it this way rather than in the bird I think.

After 6 hours the ham moved to the oven and the turkey went on the egg indirect at 350. The extra six inches of width in the new stove really helped :laugh:

IMG_0333.jpg

While the turkey and ham roasted we made mashed potatoes for the kids and crash hot potatoes for the adults. After the meats were out and resting we warmed up the pre-prepared Brussel Sprouts in garlic and BB Bacon Mornay Sauce and and Nifty Carrots that my brother-in-law brought.

Pumpkin and pumpkin pecan pies for desert, Randi makes a damn fine pie...
IMG_0335.jpg

Then we ate, alot, I have no plated pictures as I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off, but here's the leftover turkey and Ham.

IMG_0334.jpg

Doug

Comments

• BenCour
    BenCour Posts: 62
    Hello Doug,

Nice cook ! I think I recognize the oven. It's a BlueStar isn't it ? Did you get the 22K burners ? I have the same oven and I love it almost as much as my egg ;)

Cheers,

Ben
  • Good call, 22K on the two front corners. I personally think its the range for people who care enough about their food to get an egg. What I love best about it is the way the wok sits right down in the 22K flame. :woohoo:

Doug
  • Hey Doug,

Looks like you had a fine Thanksgiving dinner.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Yum...Yum...

How did the spatchcock turkey come out. I've never done it before and have thought about trying it.

The Ham looks great too! Home cured - do you mind sharing the process.

Meals like these make we wish we have Thanksgiving (or another holiday) every month! But Wow! lots of work.

Michael
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Doug, that is a fine looking bunch of grub my friend. A job very well done indeed.
    I love the decanter. Sometimes I forget how much that can improve a glass of wine, especially younger ones.
  • Thanks Tom, the Ham was to die for.

Doug
  • I used the Dizzy pig recipe for the ham, but not having the cures they mentioned I used the cure I got from a local sausage maker.

The Spatchcock was fine, and worked well in that the legs were done first by a bunch, they were 180-190 and the right side breast was 140, so I took the legs off first which is dead easy when you are spatchcocking. Lots of compliments on the Turkey but it was way overshadowed by the ham.

Doug
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Great job Doug,,,,, How about a vacation in Florida next month and you can cook mine :whistle: :woohoo: I promise unlike Steven you won't have to do the dishes :laugh: :laugh:
  • Yeah the decanter really softens the rough edges on wine. Pretty much all my reds go through it.

Thanks Ron

Look forward to your visit :whistle: :evil:

Doug
  • Thanks Pat. I think its a grand idea the visiting egghead does the cooking. It was a blast at Little Stevens. When he comes here this winter, he gets to do the cooking... Gonna be a little tricky my only having the one egg and all, and the weather could be, well you know :ermm:. When we make it to Florida we'd love to stop by, but that's not going to be until the mini fest. Already got my room booked.

I completely recommend doing you own ham it was quite simply fabulous. But maybe not the whole leg if your serving Turkey as well :huh:

Doug
  • Good to know about the spatchcock...

The hame really did look nice - I think I could smell it here...

Yum ! Yum!

Have a great day!

Michael
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    That sure does look good and I want some now.Curious as to how you cooked the ham because of your comment that it was picked over the turkey.How did you prepare the ham? Your dining room table reminds me of mine at a festive time but one thing that is not allowed would be having two empty wine bottles on the table.Shame on you.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Doug,

Looks good. Have to try a spatchcock turkey sometime.
    I did part of my stuffing in the bird this time and it turned out great. Norma was telling everybody how good and smokey it was. Go figure :blink:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The ham was a nearly faithfully following the dizzy pig recipe. 10 day cure, 8 hour cook, 6 on the egg at 250 2 in the oven at 250, out at about 146 or thereabouts, completely awesome.

The two bottles were on the table because well, we were drinking faster then the clean up people could keep up :whistle: :S :ermm:

Thanks

Doug
  • :laugh: The spatchcock was a little strange the breast took a lot longer to get to 160 then the thighs to 190. Nice thing about the spatchcock though is lifting the done pieces out is so easy.

Doug
  • Fantastic-looking meal, Doug. Happy Canadian Thanksgiving ! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

As we all know, it sure takes a lot of planning and work to pull off a feast like that!

What size Egg do you have? To fit a 16# spatchcock turkey like that?
  • Doug, Did you cure your ham in the refrigerator or in a cooler and adding when needed?
    My recent Buckboard bacon took up a whole shelf in the frig for 10 days and the wifey was not too happy! :(
  • Just a large, fit perfectly.

Thanks

Doug
  • Hi Clark:

Well I "fortunately" live in western (north western really) Canada and so the cooler and pop bottles full of ice left outside by the egg did not melt at all this week :pinch: :S :ermm: :angry:. It stayed ~38 degrees for a week. In a pinch in your part of the world 1/2 gallon/2 litre pop bottles frozen in a cooler would work fine just have two sets so that you can replace them as they melt.

I found them handy too as the cooler was the only plastic container I had big enough to hold the ham and the bottles helped take up enough volume to get cure to cover the ham.

Doug
  • Thanks, Doug. I have a large and it's good to know a 16# turkey will fit spatchcocked ! :) I hope our Thanksgiving dinner comes close to looking as good as yours !
  • Great suggestions! I had to look at the map, to remember how far north Edmonton was in Alberta. Doesn't look like there are any significant towns north of you !

One of these days I've GOT to come up and visit more of Canada. I've got Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward island on my list. Need to add Edmonton, too. We've spent some time in Vancouver, Vancouver Island and Whistler.
  • Come on up, the the Little Steven rule applies, you come visit, I'll supply the food, you do the cooking :laugh: :evil:

Doug
  • Sounds like a good rule. :laugh: Not having met Steve in person, though, and based on all the comments on the forum, I might have to stay on my knees to keep at his height ! :whistle: :silly: :woohoo: