Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time at eggtoberfest...some questions!

Options
mdlindsa
mdlindsa Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, I'll be attending Eggtoberfest for the first time this year. I am very new to this, and will be leaving with my very own egg! I signed up to cook, but am inexperienced with the EGG, since I don't have one yet. I wanted to give it a shot though. I was looking for some advice on what I should cook, as a first-timer. I also had some questions about the event in general.

Are paper plates and utensils provided, or should all cooks have their own to hand out?

Are their tables provided for preparation?

Also, as far as cooking tools go, is anything provided there? And are we allowed to bring tools in? (I know no Propane or MAPP torches are allowed on the shuttles)

Lastly, is there a way to find out what size EGG you will be cooking on? My uncle is coming with me and plans on doing a boston butt, but is wondering how much room he will have to throw other things on there.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    You will need to bring EVERYTHING!As far as the Boston Butt,you will not have time to cook it on site.All you could do is precook it and warm it up to serve it at the fest.The only things provided is eggs,charcoal and beer!Correct me if I'm wrong veterans!
  • mdlindsa
    Options
    Ha, glad I asked...very good to know. How about the egg size?
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    All you have to do is ask the persons next to you and you will be set! :cheer:
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Egret steals tables, Anna G will drink ur well dry. Poot will have smoked loney, Hoss will eat Tokyo if given a chance. :ohmy: :evil:

Mike
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    They will provide an egg, charcoal, lighter cubes, and there are some tables for the cooks - but they go quickly. You can check out platesetters, pizza stones, and other accessories on site from BGE.

Any food and service items are the cook's responsibility, including necessary cutlery, plates, bowls, napkins, etc.

You can bring in any tools or utensils you need.

Almost everyone will be cooking on a large size egg. The past two years everyone but one cook was using a large (that other person has been doing s'mores on a mini egg).

I don't think a boston butt will be a wise choice since you will only have 6 hours from lighting time until shutdown time, and the door prize drawings start at 2:00, so the crowd starts thinning at that time. Butts normally take longer than that to cook.

I would suggest you make friends with the cooks on either side of you for a little help with lighting and setting the vents to get your temps settled in for cooking. Look me up, I'll be happy to help. Look for the really ugly guy on the back row not named Pete or Max.
  • Hoss
    Options
    Hey,I resemble that remark!Are you sure you don't have me and POOT mixed up? :huh:
  • mdlindsa
    Options
    That's great info, thanks. I was going to check this in 2 days for a response, but under 10 minutes is good too! What would you recommend for quantity of meat? I don't want to over do it or under do it. Though I have a feeling that it would be very hard to over do it at an EGG festival.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    You can't overdo it.

Many people tend to recommend 50 or so servings. I am doing 125 servings myself.

There will be a large crowd demanding to be fed. Be prepared.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    The fest sounds more and more like a prison break and ensuing riot. Can't wait to take part. :woohoo:
  • mdlindsa
    Options
    great, I'm all set. Can't wait.
  • AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Now wait just a dayum minute... I am a good Southern Girl... I NEVER drink anyone's last beer... hee hee :)
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Kudo's to you for having the stones to cook at your first Fest, while being inexperienced. Alot of seasoned Eggheads say "This is my first fest and I don't know what to expect so Im not cooking". :laugh:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    So glad you included yourself in the ugly crowd..
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Not trying to speak for Max, but the other two "ugly" guys will be happy to help you too..

I'll be really close to this really tall guy with the biggest grin on his face you ever saw. I am sure he'll be wearing something with a chicken on it.

Max will be wearing pajamas!! :woohoo:
  • mdlindsa
    Options
    Yea I coulda sat this one out, but what do I have to lose? I'm lookin to learn a lot, and eat a lot. I figure this is the place for it. I'll see you all there
  • Hoss
    Options
    :laugh: :whistle: :evil: Get em Anna!
  • Desert Filly
    Desert Filly Posts: 1,042
    Options
    Since this is your first cook....keep it simple. Boston Butts...no chance. There will be plenty of us around to help you out. But....keep in mind...mingle...get to see other cooks...and other Eggheads. We're all in this for the same reason....FAMILY.

the Filly
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    All above are great suggestions but Kim is right, look around, mingle and most important ENJOY your day!!
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Hope I didn't hurt ur feelings. My bad, please accept my apology.

Mike