Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can you Wok Well without a Spider?

Kat
Kat Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was just wondering if anyone woks using a flat bottomed wok on the cast iron grill? Or is a spider at the lower level with a round bottom wok that much better? Thanks!

Kathy

Comments

•  
    This doesn't answer your question, however, I absolutely love the spider (and adjustable rig). I use the spider to get a high temperature sear while keeping the dome temperature fairly low. The spider is great for many different cooking situations.

Invert the spider for simmering on the Dutch Oven, cooking different breakfast foods or a another level for a drip pan or pizza stone.

I am sure you could use a flat bottomed wok on any grid however there won't be any support for the pan. The spider holds the wok steady so you can concentrate on cooking and not having to worry about the wok tipping or sliding.

Some other 'wok eggsperts' will jump in with more information for you.

GG
  • I do not use a spider. My wok has handles and I just set it. I did some shrimp like that this past weekend.
    In the small
    DSCN4246.jpg
    In the large, you can close the lid if you use the large but it is usually such a quick cook it does not matter ;)
    DSCN4247.jpg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    you want a round bottom wok and a wok shovel that fits it, the wok shovels dont work right with the flat bottom wok. the sell wok rings that you can put on the lower grid to hold the wok, i have one on my stove for the wok
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I don't have a spider so I just set my wok directly on the coals. Super hot! Mine is a round-bottomed wok, but I can't imagine it would make any difference. No wooden handles though!

That said, my egg is new and I've only used the wok once, but it worked perfectly.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    I recommend a round bottom wok. The round bottom helps roll the heat up the side of the wok for better and more equal heat distribution. With a flat bottom wok, the heat may concentrate on the flat section, especially over a small concentrated fire.

Plus with a round bottom, the small amount of oil used concentrates at the bottom and effectively cooks the seasonings (garlic, onion) used early in the process. And as fishlessman mentioned, moving the food is more effective on a round bottom wok.

The best is a thin steel wok that transfers heat quickly.

You can use the spider, set a wok ring on a grid or set the wok in the lump. Just what works best for your method.

Feel free to call me if you like to discuss further. If you may not know, I offer the spider and my contact info is on the spider site.

tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    :laugh:
    GG,
    Can't help it,
    Sometimes I don't "wok" well at all. :woohoo:

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Kat
    LOL, I can't tell you how disappointed I'd have been if somebody hadn't posted such a reply!
  • Kat
    Thanks all!

Tom, as you know, I had some problems ordering with the site, but a check is in the mail to you today.

It looks like I'll have lots of uses for the spider :)

Thanks,
    Kathy