Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hatch Peppers

Options
reccitron
reccitron Posts: 176
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recently bought a Tex-Mex cookbook. A lot of the recipes call for long green chilies. By doing a little internet research I think the long green chilies would be hatch, Anaheim and possibly poblano peppers. I have never cooked with Anaheim’s or Hatch. I found a place online to order some hatch peppers and was thinking about ordering some to try out the recipes in the book.

Since they will be a little expensive after shipping I want to make sure I store them properly. All the posts I have found say that they should be roasted to remove the thick skin and then frozen. This will work for the recipes like salsa but I like taking hot banana peppers, stuffing them with sausage, pouring spaghetti sauce over them, covering with cheese and then baking.

Are they any good stuffed with the skins on? If so, is there a better way to store them so I could stuff them at a later date?

Comments

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    I buy roasted Hatch peppers every year .I bring them home and seperate them in 2 pound packs and freeze them. I recommend you to buy the Anaheims and roast them yourself to save money. They keep frozen a long time. I wouldn't stuff them without roasting because the skins are very tough. The Poblanos are good ,also, but they don'y have much "kick". Where are you located?
  • Garnerac
    Options
    Roast them (or buy them roasted), then vacuum seal and freeze packages of 3 or 4 peppers with the roasted skin on.
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    We get a bushel of roasted on site "Big Jim" chiles every year,
    bring them home and fill quart freezer bags.They have medium heat, high on flavor.They make great green chile and chile sauce.
    Jon
  • reccitron
    Options
    I'm in western Maryland. The place I was going to order the hatch peppers online ran out of the green ones.

I did find Anaheims today at the local Wally World for $2.44 /lb which is cheaper than $4 after shipping for the hatchs that I had found.

I think I'm going to pick up a bunch of Anaheims and also try to find another source for hatch Big Jims.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Hatch have more flavor and heat than Anaheim and passilla peppers

Ross
  • Slotmercenary
    Options
    Hatch refers to a geographical location where they are grown and not a specific type of chili. The "slim Jim" peppers are the best known Hatch peppers from Hatch New Mexico and have a very robust and unique flavor profile. Hatch,New Mexico is the chili capitol of the world and to have the opportunity to partake of their fruits of labor is second to none. You can also contact Hatchchili.com, newmexicochili.com, and several other sites to have the roasted and frozen chilis sent to you packed in dry ice. After roasting and removing the skin they are excellent when stuffed and coated for chili rellenos. Enjoy!
    DSC_0020.jpg
    DSC_5618.jpg
    DSC_5592.jpg
  • reccitron
    Options
    slotmercenary wrote:
    Hatch refers to a geographical location where they are grown and not a specific type of chili. The "slim Jim" peppers are the best known Hatch peppers from Hatch New Mexico and have a very robust and unique flavor profile. Hatch,New Mexico is the chili capitol of the world and to have the opportunity to partake of their fruits of labor is second to none. You can also contact Hatchchili.com, newmexicochili.com, and several other sites to have the roasted and frozen chilis sent to you packed in dry ice. After roasting and removing the skin they are excellent when stuffed and coated for chili rellenos. Enjoy!

Thanks for the info. The links resolved to a Network solutions under construction advertising site.
  • reccitron
    Options
    I found a site online that still has green ones so I Ordered 10 lbs of the Big Jims. I also found a site that had red ones so I ordered 5lb of the big Jims and 5 lbs of the Sandia.

Thanks for everyones help