Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another New Table

hutchybones
hutchybones Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
Finally finished my new table. Used combination of cypress and cedar. The house is gray so I chose gray tile for the top. I wanted a drawer and cabinet-like door-covered storage. This turned out to be a little over the top. Could have been done much simpler, but I enjoyed the project. Got the whole family involved in one way or another! Hope these pics come out, I'm very new at this forum thing!

IMGP0081.jpg

IMGP0067.jpg

IMGP0071.jpg

And here's the table hosting one of my first cooks!

IMGP0077.jpg

I'm havin' a great time with the new toy!

Comments

• Great looking table! I like the cabinet style door and drawer. Nice looking craftmanship. :)
  • Impressive table! The stand for the Egg is unique. The positive is that you are able to adjust the height if needed. Some folks are seeing tiles under the Eggs fail after a length of time and switching to a paver. That is definitely one of the nicest tables I have seen.
  • shaw988
    shaw988 Posts: 41
    Well done.
    What is the fininsh on the wood?
    XL and Mini Max. Lawrenceville, GA
  • Thanks for the comments! I have fire bricks (split ones) under the egg. The bricks fit snuggly in the platform you can see in the open end of the table. They could be easily replaced if they crack or become stained/discolored, and yes, it would be easy to alter the height. The wood is finished with a Watco product they call "Teak Oil". It's basically a tung oil or Danish oil finish you flood on with a rag or brush or roller, let penetrate, wipe off and repeat. I've used it on all kinds of projects - indoor and out. Easy, durable, beautiful, and repeatable as often as you want!
  • TAPROOT
    TAPROOT Posts: 22
    That is a really sweet design. Did you do anything to make the cabinet waterproof?
    Fireside Outdoor Kitchens
    www.firesideoutdoorkitchens.com
    Big Green Egg dealer extraordinaire
  • Please see previous post. I used a tung oil finish - quite weatherproof. (I also keep it covered when I'm not cookin!)
  • TAPROOT
    Thanks, I too use tung oil on occasion and like it.
    I was referring to the inside of the box itself. Does the box stay water tight? If you did anything special to make it waterproof, would you mind sharing?
  • I did treat the inside with the tung oil, but it is definately not watertight. When I fastened the cedar fence boards (that's what I used for the box walls)they were quite tight, but as you probably know, as soon as they dried out, they shrink and there are gaps (some places 1/8" or better). To really create a waterproof box, you would have to joint and edge glue the boards, then mount the walls as solid pieces. I actually wanted it to "breathe" a little. I live in Ohio and we have a lot of temperature and humidity variation throughout the year. With the cover on it, it has stayed very dry through some pretty heavy storms so far this summer. Even uncovered, the cabinet box has stayed dry through some lighter showers. I did use waterproof glue and exterior (deck) hardware. I coated the casters with a light coat of oil as well.
  • Bought a Cypress wood table for my new Egg. Does a good Marine Clearcoat work well for sealing and protecting the wood?
  • TAPROOT
    I have worked with marine quite a bit and found that all marine products work really well but only last about 2 years in direct sun. They will usually look terrific until they look terrible. The change is pretty sudden in most cases. I don't have alot of experience with Cypress however. I work with Reclaimed Pine, Pressure Treated Pine and Southeaster Red Cedar.
    Taproot
  • TAPROOT
    Thanks. I have alot of customers ask me for an enclosed cabinet that they can use to store charcoal in. I'm hesitant to do it unless I can be sure it will stay really dry so that the charcoal doesn't mildew or get damp.
  • I understand. The BGE brand covers are apparently ventilated. That way they allow some breathing and don't hold humidity and allow mold/mildew to grow. I realize how much of a problem that can be in Georgia!!

I am fortunate enough to have a shed just steps from my egg in which I can store charcoal in quantity. Where that's not an option, especially in a cabinet, I think a wooden cabinet properly protected to preserve the integrity of the wood but with "breathability" is the best way to go short of storing charcoal in your air conditoned basement or utility room! Just my theory!
  • I agree about the "marine" clearcoat. Penetrating oil finishes like Watco Danish oil or tung oil do not peel, fade or become discolored with exposure to UV light. All shellacs and varnishes do, including polyurethane. In addition, all shellacs and varnishes are difficult to refinish because the original coat (or what's left of it when it's time to refinish) has to be removed - always more difficult than you expect or want it to be.
  • No problem. If you know anyone else looking for a table let me know. We're having an end of summer sale.

www.taprootgrills.com
  • You didn't happen to put any plans for your table on parper did you? I'm trying to desing mine right now and I really like the overall design.

Ken
  • You didn't happen to put any plans for your table on parper did you? I'm trying to desing mine right now and I really like the overall design.

Ken
  • No, I'm sorry. I started with the dimensions given on the BGE site for a large. (The critical dims. are the height of the shelf and table and the diam. of the hole.) I really kind of built it as I went. A few people have asked, so I will try to come up with some plans. I have a lot of pictures taken of construction detail to go toward that as well. Hope you're not in a hurry!!