Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Montgomery Inn? BBQ snob? Me?

Options
Chris in Gwinnett
Chris in Gwinnett Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Afternoon All-

Got a colleague taking me to the Montgomery Inn in Cincinnati tonight for the "best ribs I have ever put in my mouth". I warned him that I have a large BGE and a pretty big forum of friends that support me and has helped me make the best ribs I, and several of my family and friends, have ever eaten. He still swears. So I should have something to report later tonight.

I am a skeptic, but will go with an open mind (is that possible, an open minded skeptic?) At any rate, anyone ever eaten there? A quick synopsis / review would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want ribs, unless they are from an egg.

Have I become a BBQ snob? :unsure:

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    To boast that something is "The Best Ever" seems a little on the arrogant side to me. Ever is a damn long time. I have had their sauce and it was pretty good, but a little pricey if I remember correctly.
    And yes you probably are a snob, like most of us. :)
  • Pickle
    Pickle Posts: 74
    Options
    Not snobby at all. Since I got my egg, I don't think I have gone out for any barbeque or steaks for that matter. Just no point in paying more for something I can do better at home.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I find if the place isn't swamped with bidness you can usually ask for the manager and he/she will show up at your table. A simple compliment followed by a soft question on Q will usually get them talking. From there you'll find out purdy fast if he/she enjoys talking Q or not. You can learn a lot from the guys/gals who do if day-in and day-out for a living. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • BayouMark
    BayouMark Posts: 284
    Options
    Yep. I have eaten there and have ordered their ribs and sauce. I wanted to replicate it on my own. The sauce is what makes the ribs. I think they rub, smoke, cover, and sauce their ribs. I have made better ribs but I can't get near their sauce. The style is Memphis with a tomato sweet savory base. I thought they used ground cloves but the combination is tricky. Other eggers talk about the 3-1-1 method and I think that's what they do. Everything about those ribs is a closely guarded secret. One might think they are housing the NATO Nuclear Codes. I have never heard of them competing but, what the ---. :blink:
    Bottom line is you'll enjoy them and if you are anything like me, youi will drive your self crazy trying to duplicate them.
  • bitslammer
    bitslammer Posts: 818
    Options
    I personally don't care for them and living in Cincinnati that borders on blasphemy. Trouble is that I don't think many here have really traveled and tasted ribs around the country.

The ribs themselves are usually good but to me the sauce is too sweet and overpowering, and most here will drown the ribs in it. Given how many ribs they must go through I wonder how consistent the quality is from their suppliers. That might account for the times that they seemed better or worse to me.

Aside from that there's some good food there and if your going to the Boathouse on the river and not the one in Montgomery the view is perfect.
  • Sun Devil Brett
    Options
    Have had them many times. I used to live in Columbus and we would head south for Reds or Bengals games and always ended the day there. At the time I thought they were the best. But that was 20 or so years ago and I hadn't even heard of an EGG. So you know "when in Rome" . In the past six or so years I haven't found any that beats what comes of The Big Green Guy. My two cents, have a good time. ;)
  • ewillie
    ewillie Posts: 155
    Options
    I grew up near there and live in Columbus now. The "Ribs King" was quite a character, and the sports memorabilia in the original Montgomery location is fun.

Like some other comments, these were the best I'd eaten, but having different styles around the country, and cooking them on the Egg myself, I can't say they're the be all end all. Lots of Presidents and Bob Hope liked them.

That being said, if you set a full rack with a side of Saratoga chips and a Rib's King Red Ale in front of me, you'd hear no complaints.

We just got one in Columbus a few months ago, and had some and they were good.

Enjoy, and let us know what you think. Cheers, Erik
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Snob? not! You are just getting a refined palate for great BBQ. Be proud of your newly aquired skills.. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    Options
    I worked in Cincy for 8 months... the ribs are good, i agree... the sauce reminds me of "Jilly's" which was an old rib place in ATL... the location on the river is nice and scenic - best view on the Cincy side... Stop for a Graeter's Ice Cream for a chaser!
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    I agree with Bitslammer...Their alright. I've had them and thought (as I did with Skyline Chili) what's the big deal? Great view at the boathouse and the company was good so that made the food good too.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Overrated I think. They are not bad for restaurant ribs though. The sauce at the restaurant is different I think than the sauce bottled.....I like the bottled sauce better.