Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs

Options
BigBlueEgg
BigBlueEgg Posts: 43
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've not had much luck with making mouth watering, fall off the bone ribs. Does anyone have a suggeston on type of ribs to purchase and preparation/cooking techniques?

Comments

• Pickle
    Pickle Posts: 74
    Options
    I always buy Baby Backs from Costco. I generally use the 3/1/1.5 method that I found on this forum. 3 hours uncovered in smoke, 1 hour covered in foil (I put a couple of tablespoons of apple juice in the foil, as well), and 1.5 hours back in smoke. Makes a very tender rib without completely falling apart.
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Love your a.k.a.. I login as bigbrownegg. Blue is a nicer color though. (GOV is french for BGE)
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Now to the task at hand... soak in apple juice the night before, drain and discard, rub then 3.5 hrs at 225-250, spray with apple juice every 30 mins.. then margerine for 30 mins followed by honey for 30 mins. Wrap in foil with your favorite sauce for upto 1 hour.
    They'll be perfect!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Listen to Pickle or look up CWM or Thirdeye.They the PROS!!! ;)
  • Pickle
    Pickle Posts: 74
    Options
    I think it was third eye who I got the recipe from. I agree they are the pro's. I've learned a lot from both of these folks.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Me, I prefer spares to babybacks, but that's just me.

I do them 3-1-1, just like Pickle does, with John Henry Pecan rub over yellow mustard, smoked with cherry wood and sauced with Blues Hog original the last 30 minutes or so.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    I do mine the exact way Jeffersonian does his. When you get to the foil step, open the foil after 1 hour and see if they are falling off enough for you. If not then go in half hour steps in the foil until they are the way you like em. Then go to the grid for the saucing. The last hour just lets you sauce them and get the sauce warmed up and glazed real nice and firms the ribs back up a bit. Sometime I only go 30 minutes till I cant take it anymore :woohoo:
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    You'll have to tell us how you do ribs in order to get help.

What dome temp, how long and other things you do in the cook.