Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Running out of time on a pork butt

Options
ckillian
ckillian Posts: 73
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm taking in a couple of pork butts to work today. I put them on at about 4pm yesterday. As of noon today, they're at 184 internal. The problem is that I need to leave for work in 2 hours.

I cranked the heat up to about 300-315 on the egg, trying to finish them off a little quicker.

I wonder if I should crank up the Egg a little higher (to 350-ish), or if I should just put them in a 350 oven.

Or should I just take them off in 2 hours, regardless of temperature (For the record, I don't think this is the best idea)

Comments

• jonboy
    jonboy Posts: 163
    Options
    You can crank up the heat.
    You can also put in aluminum pan with juice, double wrap and crank up the heat.
    You could use a beer in the pan if you weren't taking to work.
    jon
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

You should be out or close to being out of the plateau and you will see a petty quick time to finish.

It won't matter much what you do at this point in time. If you crank the egg temp up tent the meat so the bark doesn't over develop. It won't hurt to go to 375° dome, but foil if you do. If you put in the oven don't go much over 350°

If you put in an oven wrap in foil. If you have an oven at work take them there to finish off.

Anyway that's my 2¢

GG
  • ckillian
    ckillian Posts: 73
    Options
    I've got the Egg wide open. Temp is going up through 314 degrees. I'll close it up if it starts to go above 350.

Internal temp is at 189 and rising at roughly one degree every six minutes. I think I'm going to make it with about an hour to spare. Whew. This was a stressful one. It's not like I could just delay dinnertime till it was done. I had to PHYSICALLY leave. Failure was not an option.
  • OttawaEgg
    OttawaEgg Posts: 283
    Options
    I agree with the other posters (they're far better eggsperts)

I also think that "hey ya got 2 hours". As GG said, you're probably at the tail end of the plateau - after that its only 16 degrees.

I'd yank at the end of the 2 hours, wrap em up in foil and toddle off to your destination.

Cheers
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Your egg temperature should get hot pretty quick, be careful not to let the egg temp run away from you.

Are you running out of lump in the egg?

Don't worry about using the oven if you feel you need to. Foiling will soften the bark.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

If you do this check the meat for being tender, fork tender or bone twist or tooth pick tender.

At this point that is all you need.

GG
  • OttawaEgg
    Options
    I had a similar situation - although I wasn't going anywhere.

Plateau seems to last forever - but voila, pretty much right on time it made the last degrees within a couple hours.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

My biggest breakthrough with egg cooking (and cooking in general) was I finally listened to the forum telling over and over to cook to temperature not time.

My biggest problem with egg cooking is timing when I know I know I have to cook to temperature.

I tell people we eat when it is done.

GG
  • OttawaEgg
    Options
    Well, like you reading the forum, I've tended to allow an extra hour above the estimates for cooking stuff like butts or roasts - the long cook things. X minutes / pound is just an estimate. So, I add an hour and I haven't missed yet.

My last (which was my first) butt went on at 12:30 am, with my intention to serve dinner around 530-6ish. The estimate was 16 hours - so I added an hour. Yup - guess what, it was ready to be pulled just after 5. Perfect timing for dinner.

Or, maybe I'm just lucky? :side: