Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chili Vessels

Options
Cornfed
Cornfed Posts: 1,324
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello, all. I think I asked this question before, and my apologies if I did and merely forgot the replies.[p]Is a dutch oven or other high quality pot compulsory for good chili? Or can one get by with a cheapo non-stick or other lower quality pot. I need a decent chili fix and am thinking of making some indoor chili this weekend. Can my crummy pots suffice, or should I go buy a good pot? If I should get a good pot, should I definitely go cast iron dutch oven so I can do it outdoors on the Egg?[p]Rambling as I suffer from grad school induced insomnia,
Cornfed

Comments

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Cornfed,I have used both cheapo and dutch oven pots. Either way, chili on the egg is AWESOME! Leave the top off in the egg and stir occasionlly.The egg really changes the taste of chili.Big Lots had some non-stick "Air-Bake" cheap pots if you have one nearby....

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    Cornfed, the great thing about cast iron or other heavy cookware is its even-heating qualities. This is especially good for stovetop cooking or oven cooking where you want to avoid hot spots and eneven cooking.[p]For chili I don't think that it will make a big difference whether you use el cheapos or not, as long as you are cooking indirect. The chile is fairly liquid and you will probably stir once in a while so it should be fine.

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Cornfed,
    Glad you asked that question. At the Eggtoberfest, Kenny G cooked the best Chili I have ever tasted. He cooked in a Hasty Bake pot. I'm trying to find one or I will use a lodge.
    I don't think Kenny's chili could have been anybetter regardless of what it was cooked in.
    Hammer